European End to End

AyrtonO

Premier Member
Irony indeed :) Maybe Finns will soon introduce their own UK end-to-end :)

How about next
a) Europe west to east - (Brest France to Magadan Russia) :)
b) Western ex-colonies end-to-end (Florida to Quebec) :)

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Irony indeed :) Maybe Finns will soon introduce their own UK end-to-end :)

How about next
a) Europe west to east - (Brest France to Magadan Russia) :)
b) Western ex-colonies end-to-end (Florida to Quebec) :)
If The UK End to End did not exist then Any IBA rider can come up with a custom ride that has challenges to meet longer than 1000 miles/1600 km.

Ref IBA Finland and the GN72 is not an End to End which has the furthest points available by road on Mainland Europe, plus other challenges like No Ferries and timing.

Yes I have looked at other rides for 2017 and 2018 which indeed look at Extreme points by road in Europe which just need to be run.

If While I'm in the USA a ride develops during pre-planning I'll be in touch with Mike Kneebone to put forward my ideas.

AyrtonO

Premier Member
Ziggy, please take my comments with humour, not too serious critic ) But what comes to rides from south-spain to Nordkapp - have to say, I don't clearly get the idea having many rides with basicly same route (from IBA organisation view), only differentiating slightly by start/end and timing rules. But we are in common organisation and Michael has the last word so here we go ). But if I ever will drive that one, I'll take yours one before GN72.

rolf-arne

Premier Member
Since I'm living at one end, I'll hope I'll get some visitors soon. And I'll check out this route, and ride it this fall.

rolf-arne

Premier Member
Well , now the fall is eminent- plans have been made -moneybox soon emty - the fact is that the ride has to be next june. But then planing this winter - with help from my fellow riders in here. NorthCape to Tarifa is the start of the real loong europe trip, for me.

Martien

Premier Member
Nice ride, google thinks this is the way...no ferries of course.
Being from the Netherlands and having done a couple of IBA rides in France and Germany, I would strongly recommend to avoid the A1 (Hamburg-Munster, it's full of construction sites and very busy), avoid the Brussels area and of course go way around Paris, either east or west.

So west via Antwerp, Bordeaux and Bilbao is an option or east via Frankfurt, Lyon and Barcelona, both are just over 5800 km and calculate at just under 60 hours.

Robert

IBR Finisher
Premier Member
The A1 has improved a lot lately. Brussels, Paris and Antwerp depend on the hour of the day, rush hour can be horrible. The route through the Rhone Valley and the Mediterranian route is more prone to congestion, longer and more expensive. Bordeaux and Western Spain is the safer route if you can avoid the Paris traffic during the day.

rolf-arne

Premier Member
Thanks a lot , all of you above. I`m now locking at stops at the route - first I`m planning fuel stops . then later comes resting possibilities. I`ll think I`ll have to plan may be 3 routes from Denmark to the south of France - considering your info. Thinking to drive the most problematic areas at night to avoid trafic. But as time comes near , I`ll hope you will give me updated reports.

rolf-arne

Premier Member
Time to be thinking again of this trip , now it`s possible it be from Tarifa and home - since I`ll i portugal on a Pan Gathering in september - and have to hurry home after - snow is comming in sept/okt , far north

Robsco

hello I am planning for the mai an endtoend Tarifa-Nordkapp, for some time the gas station in Tarifa is probably closed.
What do you do in such a case since the gas station is predetermined

Attachments

Martien

Premier Member
hello I am planning for the mai an endtoend Tarifa-Nordkapp, for some time the gas station in Tarifa is probably closed.
What do you do in such a case since the gas station is predetermined
I'd say contact Philip Weston or Martin Buck in advance (https://www.ironbutt.co.uk/w3/contact.php) to explain. There are a few more gas stations in town now.

When I visited Tarifa, on another IBA ride, I fueled up at Windfuel Tarifa at 36.02648387039854, -5.609673271939138. Open 7x24.