European Toll Advice

Dave Thomson

BBR Veteran
IBA Member
Dawn and I are heading through Europe in the car in a few weeks and I was wondering about the best way to deal with toll roads.

We'll be driving through France, Italy, Austria, Germany and Belgium and there are various different ways that tolls can be paid.

Is there a way that has the least hassle? In fact what are the various methods in each country??

Any help would be appreciated.

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Cash & Card.. Your not going to Poland so Euros ..
Your CC will work at the gates ,, Just remember to let your Bank know your over in Europe for the few weeks and they won't suspend it.

Rick UK

Brit Butt Light Rally Master
Premier Member
IBA Member
I've always used card. No problems. Austria did require cash for the motorway vignette, if I remember rightly, so useful to have some Euros handy.
As Ziggy said, notify your bank / card provider in advance, and ensure you have the means to contact them if necessary.

I guess it won't apply to you as you are going together but if you drive alone on the autoroute do not be tempted to unhook your seat belt before you come to a complete halt and if you are going to lean over to the passenger side then in handbrake on, in neutral and turn off engine before leaning over or getting out and walking round to take the ticket. The police sit and wait for the cars and watch you and they will do you 90€ it's points too but they can't put them on a UK licence. Also be polite, a lot more of them speak fluent English than you'd think.