Extended tour. Should I ship a bike to the US from the UK, or buy?

orestesdjc

Premier Member
I'm in the very early stages of planning a two month tour in the US. As I have friends in Minneapolis it makes a certain amount of sense to see the start of the IBR ( I did think about waiting and hope for a place in 2019), so that would be the start or end of the trip.

Renting a bike for two months is probably too expensive which leaves me two options.

I can ship my own BMW GSA and find a firm that is willing to insure foreign citizens.

or

Purchase a reasonable, low mileage used machine for around $10,000 and either sell at the end of the tour or find someone willing to store the bike ready for future trips. I would need help registering (licensing?) and insuring the bike as I think I would need a US address.

It seems to me that the IBA NPT makes a good basis for the trip.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Hi Dave, a group of us shipped our GS's out to San Francisco in 2014 and we are doing it again this year only this time
we are flying the bikes out to Anchorage and shipping them back from San Fran.
We have no problems finding insurance cover and in fact the whole process is not too bad.
You could contact Chris Biltcliffe at [email protected] who is a mine of information when it comes to shipping bikes
to and from the the USA.