Farkles for 2004 BMW r1150RT

Airportbum

Premier Member
I just picked up a low mileage (6900 miles) 2004 BMW r 1150rt. It has 3 bmw cases, heated grips, 2 din electric connections, throttle lock, heli risers and speakers but no radio, fog lights and a stock windshield and seat. I am using an aero hawk cushion on the seat for the moment.

What aftermarket windshield is preferred? Any other farkles i should add to make it more comfortable for distance. It is not my main Iron Butt bike, but i would like to make it good for longer rides.

Anything I should watch out for or know about this bike that could strand me in the middle of Nevada? This is my first BMW. Love it around town - except the airflow and noise over the windshield...and the brake module noise

thanks for the help, Mike

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I just picked up a low mileage (6900 miles) 2004 BMW r 1150rt. It has 3 bmw cases, heated grips, 2 din electric connections, throttle lock, heli risers and speakers but no radio, fog lights and a stock windshield and seat. I am using an aero hawk cushion on the seat for the moment.

What aftermarket windshield is preferred? Any other farkles i should add to make it more comfortable for distance. It is not my main Iron Butt bike, but i would like to make it good for longer rides.

Anything I should watch out for or know about this bike that could strand me in the middle of Nevada? This is my first BMW. Love it around town - except the airflow and noise over the windshield...and the brake module noise

thanks for the help, Mike
I had a 04 R1150 GSAdv I bought new and had serviced per the manual. At 27 k miles I was at the Fresno dealer getting the yearly high pressure brake fluid service when I mentioned to the service manager I thought there was a small, new vibration in the engine. He took it for a test ride, came back and did a oil pressure check, and said the engine would have to be replaced. Huh,??
Would not give any more info and basically said he didn't know what the problem was. The engine had to come from Germany as there was not a complete engine in the US. It took about 2 months to get the bike back and no info as to what the problem was. He would never say. It was obvious when speaking with him he knew what was going on but was told to keep quiet.
I ran into a guy with the exact duplicate of my GS and the same problem from the Fresno dealership had happened to to him. Never found out what had happened but something had been going on with those 1150s that year.
That was my last BMW.
Something to check out. See if yours had a engine replacement in its history. That's very low mileage for a ,18 year old bike.