Farriders website unavailable,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nev..

Premier Member
I discovered tonight that the redirection for the photo albums from past farrides is still active and redirecting to the smugmug link. These albums date right back to FarRide East #1. So they can be accessed by the url http://photos.farriders.com for as long as that redirection stays in place and even when that link no longer exists, the photos and albums are still preserved on smugmug.com. The smugmug link to the same pages is http://farriders.smugmug.com

kwaka

Premier Member
Nice pieces of sleuthing work there @Nev..
The missing FR #'s leading to @MIXR's revelations leave's me SMH.
Shout out to @Brookester for your work on TM info too.

The biggest shout out though, is to the LD collective supporting my "simple" efforts with the domain and web/forum.
Onya's!

UPDATE:
I'm just about done in for the night however, I expect to be able to open up the forum within the next 24 to 48 hours. Sorry that this may conflict with your ride plans. That said, be good to get some info/pics from the meet and greets happening over the weekend.

Just a heads up and more for the non web savvy, the website and forum are different entities residing under the one domain name.
Am leaving work on the website until after the forum has been stress tested under the avalanche of registrations, lol.
Note that registration will be by email verification, well that's the plan unless the spammers run amok. :rolleyes:

Will keep you all posted here as developments happen.
Righto, gotta go.

P.S.
It's been on and off again bucketing cats and dogs here, with Thor dishing out a fun time in the sky.

kwaka

Premier Member
UPDATE:
I've pulled an all-nighter working on the forum. Managed to iron out a huge bug with a file full error in the upload folder. Sorta happy now with the logo and I've tested as a normal user. The verdict is, that it all seems good to go!

REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!
Reminder that registration is via email confirmation. If you don't know what that is, check the email account that you used when registering. ;)
Recommend that once your logged into the new forum, take a moment or two to get the feel of where everything is. Although no doubt, it will feel familiar to most of you.
Enjoy!

Philmor

Premier Member
Registration to the FAR ROAD forum was easy.
I look forward to meeting you somewhere on the Far Road.
Yes FM but I had to go to farroad.au to register for the Far Road forum!
Not sure when or where the first Far Road ride will be, but you will need to be careful as my clearwaters could be filling your mirrors sometime soon!! :oops:

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Why is everyone so stuck on keeping the "Farriders" name?

It's just a name... come up with another name. Problem solved.

This seems like a no-brainer to me. Start a new site, call it something else, spread the word that it's the new "spiritual home" of the old Farriders site.

New home... enthusiastic members... none of the old baggage... no chance of lawsuits... I don't see the problem here. There's clearly a passionate group of enthusiasts in Australia, so what's to stop anyone from just making it happen?
You need to learn to spell it correctly. Once you get that your a full step closer mate.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
You need to learn to spell it correctly. Once you get that your a full step closer mate.
Nothing like old-fashioned pedantry to help someone miss the point entirely.

I spelled it the way it's written in the title of this thread, so if that's an incorrect spelling then you'll know from where I got it.

Hopefully your desire to one-up me didn't blind you to the larger question.

(EDIT: I went back and re-read this entire topic, and I found no fewer than 14 examples of other Australians spelling it the same way that I did.)

Last edited:

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Nothing like old-fashioned pedantry to help someone miss the point entirely.

I spelled it the way it's written in the title of this thread, so if that's an incorrect spelling then you'll know from where I got it.

Hopefully your desire to one-up me didn't blind you to the larger question.

(EDIT: I went back and re-read this entire topic, and I found no fewer than 14 examples of other Australians spelling it the same way that I did.)
Yes Im sure you did Shawn.
For the purpose of education and enlightenment the correct spelling of FarRiders was part and parcel of becoming a FarRider its Hmmm part of the lore of the group. An item of housekeeping that Davo asked and on occasion demanded respect of.
No. No one-upmanship at all.
It is however another example of what makes the group. or How that group evolved post Davo.
I have read this topic and noted at the outset the miss naming of the topic and have sat back to watch how or if this would be noticed by who and from what time line of the FarRider membership.
Shawn your post was simply the lucky number.
Thank you.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Really? Name names.

Unless typing specifically about websites or URLs, I think in the 10 pages so far the spelling "Farrider" or "farrider" was utilised only by Ron, Rus and TJ - three of the group ousted by P Vaupel.

I understand that the slight is slight in your eyes Shawn and that is perfectly ok. Its just that some on this side view it differently, not pedantically. On the wider Iron Butt forum typers will occasionally write about an "IBR" ride they have completed when of course it was instead an "IBA" ride. That also gets corrected on occasion.

Out of interest, just how much of the collected body of knowledge that was contained in the FarRiders forum did you lose or even read prior to its demise? You may see nothing but opportunity in discarding the old FarRiders for something shiny and new, but that is hardly a fully informed opinion.

tj189

Premier Member
Good evening,

We have been able to support the LDRiding Community and more specifically, the new owners of FarRiders, through this thread and a number of other threads covering RTE's. With the advent of Far Road and the Facebook Group Get Together Riders - It's just down the road , we believe the time has come to close off these threads so as to allow these groups to evolve naturally in their support of riders wishing to engage in their ride offerings.

We thank you for your ongoing support whilst these changes have been occurring within the LDRiding Community and look forward to catching up with you on the road.

Please note that the threads will close over the next few days and this message will be posted in each of the threads involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.