Farriders website unavailable,

Status
Not open for further replies.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
How did the previous owner get to be the previous owner? That must pre-date my membership I think.

Also, who are the “naughty 12” and why wasn’t I invited? ;)
After Davo Jones died during the 2009 Iron Butt Rally Ghostrider bought FarRiders from Davo's widow Willow.

The naughty 12.... Thommo, Rus, Roadbandit and Kate, TOURA, Ron and Marles, TJ, Gatey...........
Zed and Ed did you get the boot, too?

Rusjel

Premier Member
ha Ha! The naughty kid who flew under the radar you mean!

Capo, I will sit down at some point and set out the history of Farriders after Davo, Ghosty’s attempt to gain control of IBA Australia, the banning of the naughty 12, Distance Riders Australia and how we all got here.

Wombattle has set out a bit of the history from his point of view, I’d like to do this little project and of course, others who see things differently might add their views as well.

there was a point in our history where no one covered themselves in glory, but it might be useful for folks newer to the IBA to understand a few perspectives of what has gone before. Maybe in understanding our history we won’t repeat it And we’ll continue the positive developments of the last few years?

Last edited:

Dicky Knee

Ghosty got struck off my Xmas Card list after he covertly used me to send another salvo to Pat (Toura - RIP).
Once I realised (about 5 minutes after the duping phone call) I returned serve with an honest assessment of his (Ghosty) character, and offered some sage advice should he ever try to enter the hallowed halls of FJR13.org
Never heard from him again.

Roadbandit

Ghosty got struck off my Xmas Card list after he covertly used me to send another salvo to Pat (Toura - RIP).
Once I realised (about 5 minutes after the duping phone call) I returned serve with an honest assessment of his (Ghosty) character, and offered some sage advice should he ever try to enter the hallowed halls of FJR13.org
Never heard from him again.
I may have offered similar advice. I'll leave it at that.

Kimmie

That suggests the new owners have a different domain name in mind.
Thanks Kimmie, for your views from "just inside the fence" as you were up until recently.
Yes Brookster- fair question. Maybe they're going to "monetise" it, as the new jargon has it.
No problem Sir Biggles

tj189

Premier Member
This would normally happen when a domain name expired/was not renewed.

View attachment 8753
and from Biggles
"That suggests the new owners have a different domain name in mind."

Farriders utilise Farriders.com.au not farriders.com - this being the case the above would not suggest a name change by the owners.

As mentioned earlier, there is a great opportunity for our LDR Community "that may encourage a larger support base for those riders wishing to pursue those challenges supported by FarRiders and the IBA."

Can we encourage everyone to look for the great potential for collaboration across our whole LDRing community for all riders through taking the time to allow the new owners to set things in place for their new venture and to wish them well.

Having recently had some issues when we recently changed servers and our webpage being down for a short period of time, we understand some of the problems that may occur.

Biggles

Premier Member
and from Biggles
Farriders utilise Farriders.com.au not farriders.com - this being the case the above would not suggest a name change by the owners.
FarRiders actually used both- the database (black pages) was on farriders.com.au, and the Forum was on farriders.com

I agree with Trev- let's hope for the best and support FarRiders when it resumes on the internet. And let's also hope old wounds can be healed and the status there pre April 2013 restored.

Tele

Premier Member
In fairness to Ghosty, he did post in advance on the FarRiders Forum about his intention to retire, and his decision/desire to "sell" the FarRiders domain name. He specifically asked for any FarRider "members" to consider whether they would like to take over the reigns and encouraged any interested party to contact him directly to discuss their interest. Ghosty specifcally said that he would like the management side of FarRiders to be in the safe hands of an established LD rider. This request was open for at least a month from what I recall. I have no idea who applied or what contact was made. Eventually, as Biggles has summarised previously, a business associate of Ghosty (and his partner) have aquired the "business". The changing of the guard involved the female business partner using her established IT skills & business acumen to relocate the computer side of the enterprise.

I'm with TJ and those others who wait with positive thoughts as to the potential that this change brings. I hope that the new owners arrive with no 'historical baggage" and have heaps of enthusiasm for the exciting times ahead. The new owners are both riders. I look forward to meeting them.

I have met so many wonderful people through my involvement with FarRiders and the IBA. I am sure that we will all work together to ensure that those great times continue! Have bike, have licence, will travel.

thommo

Premier Member
IBA Member
As an organisation, I simply no longer care what happens to it, apart from GTR-AUS, I wasn't apart of it thanks to paul and clint. I don't foresee doing a farride in my future, and I haven't done one in years either. As for the people, I keep in touch with those I consider friends and that will continue for years to come.

Dicky Knee

As an organisation, I simply no longer care what happens to it, apart from GTR-AUS, I wasn't apart of it thanks to paul and clint. I don't foresee doing a farride in my future, and I haven't done one in years either. As for the people, I keep in touch with those I consider friends and that will continue for years to come.
I'm pleased to know you still answer my phone calls ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.