Farriders website unavailable,

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACTCapo

In fairness to Ghosty, he did post in advance on the FarRiders Forum about his intention to retire, and his decision/desire to "sell" the FarRiders domain name. He specifically asked for any FarRider "members" to consider whether they would like to take over the reigns and encouraged any interested party to contact him directly to discuss their interest. Ghosty specifcally said that he would like the management side of FarRiders to be in the safe hands of an established LD rider. This request was open for at least a month from what I recall. I have no idea who applied or what contact was made..
I reached out asking for a bit more info on how the site was managed but didn’t get a response.

Site is still down :(

Taffey

Biggles is correct in saying the new owners were transferring all across to their own servers. Likewise thought it was only going to be a couple of days as indicated. The forum has not been available for approx 2 weeks and the "Black Pages - main website" went down on the weekend.

The Team have not had access for ages now to the forum due to a "glitch" - read into that what you may...I'll stick with glitch.
The Glitch was an excellent series...

Biggles

Premier Member
The site still down. I guess as the new owners are not part of the FarRider community (yet) getting it all up and running is probably quite low on their priority list. Considering the reception they got to their initial introduction, I'm not really surprised either.
Was having a discussion with another FarRider yesterday and the point was made that we've lost the heart of FarRiders. The Legend as I understood it was that Davo founded FarRiders to initiate riders into the discipline of long distance/ endurance riding. By giving everyone a target of 1000 kms in 24 hours that would stretch them a bit but still be achievable, he intended to sow the seed that would lead to IBA level challenges being undertaken.
Now this pure and simple concept has been corrupted and lost in personalities and politics and seemingly become captive to "I don't know what".
Perhaps Nev is right, and there is an element of pique in the forestalling of the relaunch of the site. After all, if the structure was all intact, and the "heirs" deemed the Simple Machines software acceptable (although, by implication, below their dignity) then it would seem to be a fairly simple matter for folks of their competence to relaunch it on their server.
The longer the site is down, the less goodwill remains among the hundreds who have loved FarRiders for years. One is left to wonder how the "new FarRiders" will function if it is to emerge in a climate of disappointment. I'm hopeful we will all resume where we left off, planning for the scheduled rides, seeking the FarTreasure, short Rallies etc. Let's truly hope that spirit isn't extinguished.

Rusjel

Premier Member
that’s the Spirit Hop, I’ll be doing the same to Payne’s find in the West.

I agree with some of what you’ve said Biggles. I’ll have more to say about the spirit of Farriders when the dust has settled from the takeover, but for now yes, let politics take second place.

I hope you are wrong and that the longer wait for the website to return is not a worrying sign but even if it is, I take heart that the simple joy of a long ride and the fellowship of like minded mates is not contained in a membership number, or a personality, or records on a spreadsheet, or a website.

MIXR

Add Mixr and a guy from Qld, he was a late comer to the group.
I was going to say a lot of sad history there, but as others have intimated it was more a case of disappointing history. Yes, I was one of the blacklisted riders and I chose to depart the scene altogether. My choice. A few friends left with me but simply ignored advertising their stance. I still ride with them. The biggest disappointment was the huge amount of material lost in the form of ride reports and general experience deleted from the forum.

I swapped a few emails with Mike Kneebone afterwards and let him know in quite precise terms how a few of us felt let down by the new management. That didn't help the IBA side stay with FarRiders as many were quite vocal about having nothing further to do with the IBA if it stayed with FarRiders. By the time the dust settled and IBA Aus got its legs, it was too late for some of us other than in a peripheral sense.

Anyway, history is best left as history as it cannot be changed. I look forward to catching up with old hands and will be happy to argue the toss over a friendly beer if anyone so desires.

See you at Nambucca. Mixr.

Rusjel

Premier Member
Thanks Lindsay, Steve, Payne’s find was the next ‘official’ West Farride and I was planning to go. I forget the date, but if it suits I’m happy to have a ride out there to see some mates.

hopefully if I can get myself past all that pesky work and home stuff limiting my riding time!

Dicky Knee

Thanks Lindsay, Steve, Payne’s find was the next ‘official’ West Farride and I was planning to go. I forget the date, but if it suits I’m happy to have a ride out there to see some mates.

hopefully if I can get myself past all that pesky work and home stuff limiting my riding time!
I need kilometres under me soon. Count me in as soon as we know the date.

Biggles

Premier Member
Someone I know who's an internet guru observed that it looks to him like they have allowed the domain registration to expire.
Doesn't augur well for any sort of continuation of the tradition. Once you go changing the basics, like the URL link then it starts to look like a relaunch with different assumptions. A deliberate break from the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.