First IBA ride for my wife (on pillion)

TomW

We were in Tucson on May the 18th and knew we needed to get back home by the end of the weekend. Looking at the weather, we found out our home city was about to get a late-season snow storm (12” expected), so we decided to make the trip from Tucson to Colorado Springs in one day. Not too difficult, but it is over 800 miles, and that would be the longest my wife would do on the back of our HD Ultra Limited in a single day. I casually mentioned doing an IBA SS1000 and she jumped at the suggestion. So we planned out route and figured out how to extend it to the required 1000 miles… and off we went!

The ride was nothing exciting to talk about… good weather, temp under 90° at the high (typically around mid 70s), left at 4am in the morning, etc. We averaged 63 mph with stops, and even had a nice dinner with our youngest daughter. The only real downside is there were numerous fires in New Mexico that really made breathing in areas difficult (one area we were in dense smog for almost an hour), but the smoke was unavoidable so we just pressed on.

Lessons learned:
1) need better underwear for me. Do not discount the importance of well-fitting clothing while on a motorcycle, especially the under layer
2) Love’s sucks. The gas station itself is actually awesome, but on multiple instances they pre-authorized $125 for gas. Sure, I’ll get that back, but having the loss of credit access was frustrating to watch happen, especially when I o my put in about $25 worth each time.
3) Love’s sucks more. They don’t include an address on their receipts (an important bookkeeping requirement to certify with the IBA), so I’ll have to plan differently. Maybe Pilot stations… I like large gas stations while on the road (less chance of gravel, more food / purchase options/ usually cleaner restrooms), so I’ll have to explore more.
4) Harley-Davidson nav on the bike is missing a lot of stuff, especially gas stations. Not much to do about that I guess, but it impacts planning adjustments mid-trip
5) Having a pillion rider requires a lot more communication and coordination than you would think. Sequencing events (bathroom breaks, snack / drink purchases, length of the stop) does not just happen naturally.

Overall , this was a great ride. The next day I asked her her thoughts and she said that it wasn’t as difficult a ride as it sounded and it “was better than sitting around, just watching tv.”

Now we wait for certification. :)

igneouss

Premier Member
Receipts (DBRs):
As long as the start and finish DBRs have the address on them you are probably good. The intermediate DBRs don't get the same level of scrutiny.
Store ID# can often be connected to a physical address. Check the internet. How this applies is likely case by case.
If the pump DBR lacks important info go inside and ask for a receipt. The register DBRs typically have more and better info.
Truck stops generally have ATMs. Do a balance check. The DBR might have all the info on it...

Congrats on a good ride!

Russ Black

Premier Member
My riding Buddy and I rode together in the Missouri Rally earlier this month and stopped at the local Love's for a REST bonus start DBR. I know the problem with Love's receipts and went to the Hardee's inside the Love's and my partner to Love's itself. The Hardee's DBR was good to go and the Love's DBR (from the inside register) lacked the time. My Buddy then had to go into Hardee's to get a valid DBR. Love's are time suckers. I have no love for Love's

Auburn

Premier Member
I’m wondering if we use the SW tracker app, take a picture of the receipt and ODO on the bike and upload it, doesn’t that also give a very accurate location on your track?

I’ve got one at a Loves that has the store number no address. I’ll have to look that one up. It had date and time. My point is SW Tracker will give all that and location too