First Iron Butt ride

Tman

Question, I am mulling over the possibility of riding my bike to visit my dtr and son-in-law and 2 grandkids iin a few months. They are ~1050 miles away in Rochester, NH. I am in Lou, Ky. If I do the ride and I complete the ride in 24 hours or less, how do I get it confirmed? I'm unsure of the rules and regs re: verification of an IB ride. I have driven the entire distance in my car, took about 17.5 hours. So, add a few more rest stops and it should be doable. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Tman

Thanks to whomever for the prompt reply. This is obviously the info I was looking for. Now, if I do the IB traveling to NH I definitely need to do some serious planning. My biggest concern is some of the big cities that I need to pass thru. I would prefer a riding partner, but we will see. I'll keep you p[osted on my decision.

igneouss

Premier Member
The SS1K is more about following the rules than anything else. You are not under a difficult time constraint. Get your documentation at the start and then stay on track. take short rest breaks when you need them. Do not rush. You'll be done in 20-ish hours. Lots of time to spare.
Remember that too much documentation is better than too little.
Also, if problems arise, remember that the IBA will try, with in reason, to certify the ride.
Keep it low stress and stay safe.
Cheers!

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You're familiar with the route make sure you start and stop point by far enough apart by. Pick a start time that aligns with your circadian rhythm and avoids the worst of the traffic on you route. Then just go for it have a pretty solid idea of what you realistic/comfortable fuel range is an plan stops accordingly. I don't preplan them but start a (along my route) GPS search about a 40 miles or so before my comfortable range and pick a stop based on what match's my range the best. In the east that is enough out west it still works but I start earlier and sometime call to make sure they are open.

Tman

Thanks for all the tips. Definitely giving me inspiration. Once I am in in New Hampshire I have no other option of course than to ride my butt home. But, I will most likely do about 600 hundred or so the 1st day and finish up day # 2. I did ride to Sturgis last year and back. I had 4 total days of 600+miles. So I'm figuring another 400 or so no big deal. My back and butt get a little numb after about 8-9 hours so after that smooth sailing. Really, my biggest concern is some of the big cities I will be traveling thru and potential traffic and getting off track. I definitely will have an iron clad route prepared.

Rollin'

Premier Member
A couple of suggestions.
Call your credit card company and tell them you are doing a long, quick ride, or they might turn off your card when they see a lot of transactions in a short time. Happened to me 3/4's of the way during my last ride, I had a backup card with.
Check each receipt and make sure it shows the correct time, date and place. I've had receipts with incorrect info, one was blank.
Write the mileage on the receipt and take a photo of it next to the odometer. Put the receipt in a safe place, I put my receipts in a Ziploc bag and put that in an inner jacket pocket that has a zipper.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
A couple of suggestions.
Call your credit card company and tell them you are doing a long, quick ride, or they might turn off your card when they see a lot of transactions in a short time. Happened to me 3/4's of the way during my last ride, I had a backup card with...
And still make sure you have a backup card or 2.

Kylearane

Premier Member
Like with a lot of things that are critical; Two is one and one is none.

Keep the spare card(s) somewhere different than your regular wallet.

Have a spare card won’t be any good if it‘s lost with the wallet with the primary card.
On single day rides I carry enough cash to buy fuel to get me home from the farthest point. I also keep it in a separate pocket, one that zips closed.

I ride from Nashville, TN to Schenectady, NY area to visit daughter/son in law/new grandson on occasion. I go thru Lexington,KY to Charleston, WV, north to Cumberland, MD, then to Binghamton, NY and on to Schenectady. It’s a beautiful ride and skirts big congestion. Lexington, KY on New Circle Rd over to I-75 was crowded but it’s only short hop thru there.

I have gone to Charleston, WV north to Canton, OH, then to Erie, Pa then I-86 across southern NY. Now that is beautiful ride and zip traffic till Albany, NY area.
Good luck with the ride. Planning is half the adventure.