First ss1000

I admit to also over thinking it.
My light bulb moment was when I came to the realization that 'if at any moment, for any reason, I did not feel safe or comfortable continuing I would just get a room and call it a nice two day ride. There is no penalty for puling the pin and trying again a different day.
So last August I had a Friday off and the wife had to work so if I had a good nights sleep I told myself that I would stop making excuses as to why I shouldn't and just go. So I did.(with my wife's blessing of coarse)
The best piece of advise I got was from my brother-in-law who told me 'It's not a speed race, its an endurance test. The RCMP are in no hurry to write you a ticket.' With that, I had the cruise set at a pace that I could float through any radar trap and just smile and wave!
I am proud of the fact that I succeeded. I am waiting for certification.
I have also been looking through the store and there is a 'mile eater' patch for multiple certified rides. It looks cool. I want it. Also thinking of upping the game a bit, like maybe a bun burner gold. I am beginning to think that this could be a bit addicting.
Any way best of luck to you and don't over think it.

So I did a test run yesterday. Took off at 8AM and got home at 8:30PM. Total miles on the odometer reads 502. When I put the waypoints in google maps it shows 487. Plenty of stops and long lunch.

Overall I felt very good after the ride. Just a little sore shoulder. Plan on using some Motrin half way through my SS1000.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
That should?? be enough I usually try for 1025 or a 1050, but it seems like I had one the was less. Just my thinking as I have no inside knowledge but it seems that if google maps says it's good you should be ok and the extra miles are not as critical as they once were. That however are just my thoughts and could not be worth the time spent typing them.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You only need the 1000 miles, but the IBA recommends a 3 to 5% additional mileage. This is just to make darn sure you don't fall short. As your example above, your odo is not what the mapping software shows, and your odo isn't the official mileage. Most odo's are off, some by as much as 10%. The verification teams use multiple mapping programs. Google Maps will generally give you a safe number. Never trust your odo unless you have done a known course and know the correction factor to make it accurate. Even then, your odo won't impress the IBA.