Follow Up from Parkez

Farkleit

Premier Member
Item 1.
I vote for only ONE Muster per year. Keep it special. However move it around the country.
More than one per year would not make it special.
Im sure others will vote similary.
Lets go post away.

kwaka

Premier Member
Yep. The way I see it so far, the annual schedule looks like this:-
One muster, check.
One memorial ride (always 2nd Sat in Sept at Wilmington), check.
One rally, check.
On top of this one could arrange a RTE (of IBA length of course), group ride like Canberra Insanity or whatever one likes.
Discuss.

IBA-Tiger

Over & above what Kwaka has suggested, possibly add Border Run (first Saturday in August) - a 'non-denominational' all-comers get together, and a chance to catch up with the Westies also (although I've tried & failed twice to get there!).

Rusjel

Premier Member
I like your thinking there Bill, every time I've done the Border it's been as a FarRide but there's usually an IBA length day or two in there somewhere.

Kimmie

Is the Border Run a

1) FarRide OR
2) IBA Ride OR
3) Is it both
???

Not wishing to start a war (for want of a better expression) over dominating an event.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Kimmie the Border run pre-dates both FarRiders and the IBA as I understand it.

As Bill says it is non-denominational.

You could ride it as a FarRide and submit it to FarRiders.

You could ride it as an IBA ride and submit it to IBA.

You could just ride it as a catch-up like ADV riders, HOG riders, BMW Owners, DRA, OzSTOC and non-affiliated riders have been doing for years.

So I don't think that anybody 'owns' the Border Run as such.

One day I'll get there. This year is another I'll be missing. I've looked at the sums and can't get there and back in the time I have available that weekend.

Ed.

Premier Member
Border run was always a bmw mob event. Pretty sure there was an approach made early on to check if "they" minded fr jumping in on it. No idea of the more recent history beyond that.

Rusjel

Premier Member
I suggested to Clint in 2011 that FarRiders chat to the BMW guys about Being o.k with BR being used as a FarRide. As I recall Ed you went with me. They were cool with it.

The BR itself dates back to the mid 70s, but they have always graciously welcomed all comers.

In 2011 Glen, Ed and I all did SS2000s on the way to the BR and also registered for a FR, just like you can on most FRs.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
I'm of the opinion that IBA Australia Musters should be but one per year to keep it special as noted BUT it needs to move about.

I really would like to see an IBA Australia rally of either a 24 hour or 36 hour duration with a common start and finish location ( the same place )

The Davo Jones Memorial Ride in September will always take place and it'll attract all comers regardless of distance. It is already respected by many in all camps of the LDR community.

One or perhaps two RTE's similar to say Glendambo a few years back...But it needs to be an IBA length trip to, or around the RTE, going to and home or to and finishing at another place. Leave that up to the individual's.
The one rider I have with this is we try to have locations away from the eastern seaboard for at least one of those RTE's maybe well into QLD perhaps even at a location with camping?

As for the Border Run. There is no need to go make this anything extra than what it has evolved into. There is nothing to stop a rider doing it as an IBA length trip or as a FarRide or both or just tour the thing. So I don't see this needs to become something more...or you just might end up pissing a few originals off.

Between the various forums most of us are on we do get more than enough opportunity to go for a ride to catch up. But as an IBA group we all do our own things most other times so that's not about to change.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Just some locations that have poped into my head in no particular order for the next muster.
Port Lincoln SA.
Eungella QLD
Alice Springs NT
Barkly Homestead NT

Some place in the south west of WA or the south east of Vic east of the Bairnsdale region coastal or inland in either case.
The guys in WA must have some great locations in mind already?

Farkleit

Premier Member
Kimmie the Border run pre-dates both FarRiders and the IBA as I understand it.

As Bill says it is non-denominational.

You could ride it as a FarRide and submit it to FarRiders.

You could ride it as an IBA ride and submit it to IBA.

You could just ride it as a catch-up like ADV riders, HOG riders, BMW Owners, DRA, OzSTOC and non-affiliated riders have been doing for years.

So I don't think that anybody 'owns' the Border Run as such.

One day I'll get there. This year is another I'll be missing. I've looked at the sums and can't get there and back in the time I have available that weekend.
If its a FarRiders you dont have to submit anything. Just register on the ride then get a start docket.
If your doing an IBA then full ducumentation of the ride would be needed i would belive.

kwaka

Premier Member
If its a FarRiders you dont have to submit anything. Just register on the ride then get a start docket.
If your doing an IBA then full ducumentation of the ride would be needed i would belive.
With FarRiding to the Border and indeed most FarRides, if one so wishes, one can register for FR12Gold. This requires documentation akin to an IBA ride and is an introduction to the IBA style log requirements.

Kimmie

Thanks OX. I obviously missed the "non-denominational" bit of Bills post.

Anyone from anywhere on any forum can do this ride with or without documentation....it is entirely up to the individual.

The BR is on my bucket list of rides but like OX, I am unable to make it again this year. Will be for me next year.

Zed14

My view

Muster - one per year to keep it special and to attract the biggest gathering and yes move it around the country.
Memorial ride - this is an important date on the calendar.
Rally - given the amount of effort behind these we need to be realistic about the frequency, and given that many are new to this type of event and they take a lot of organisation.

That's it.

Border Run - someone else's show and there is nothing stopping anyone going
RTE - Do we really need something formal? There is nothing stopping people from throwing out a destination and just see who wants to come.

Keep it simple.

kwaka

Premier Member
Kimmie, as the Border Run is always the first Saturday in August, one doesn't need to be on any forum to go. Just saying.

Also, the Border Run is into it's 41st year I believe.

@ Glen. I like the KISS rule.

TripleTreat

I'm firmly in the one Muster per year in different locations every year camp.

As for the rest, I'm not interested in rallying and have no interest in formalising any other rides.

Farkleit

Premier Member
With FarRiding to the Border and indeed most FarRides, if one so wishes, one can register for FR12Gold. This requires documentation akin to an IBA ride and is an introduction to the IBA style log requirements.
FR Gold ....cant see the point in that, you go the trouble of receipts and documentation you may as well add another 400klm and and get a certificate (or not) otherwise its just a Ride to EAT the go home.
Mind you i have combined a FarRiders RTE and and SS 1600 ride with the hard part being hitting the check in window for the FarRiders RTE without having to waste time or missing the checkin window. Now that's a challenge more than a Gold. just sayin'

sixty6north

1 Muster per year sounds about right to me. It will be difficult to keep up quality content if it went to say, three per year, and people will become disinterested. I would prefer to have one quality muster per year (and not all in NSW/QLD).

I can't wait to do another rally - the challenge will be to get Lady Cuddles to be kind to us.