France speed limit - July 2018

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
A gentle reminder that in France the speed limit on single carriageway roads is reduced from 90kph to 80kph as from 1st July 2018.

This is a two year trial attempting to reduce road casualties. "At the end of that period further changes may be made, depending on the "effectiveness" of the measure in terms of saving lives and cutting down on injuries"

Jonnyp

IBA Member
Right.... that’s a letter to Macron reminding him of certain historical events. Especially Agincourt......

Bonne chance là-bas...

Aitch

To give the French their due respects - most of them are equally irritated by it and from accounts in the news view it as an imposition by the "Parisian elite".

I was lucky enough to visit Normandy (on bike early June) and was very impressed with the courtesy they show bikes. I was even more impressed by the respect and honour they demonstrate to our WW2 vets - puts us to shame....

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Apparently, some local regions are not bothering to change their signs but the lower limit is being enforced. Our government said this when they introduced the 70mph limit on motorways i.e. it is temporary.

Lower speed limits will reduce deaths. Forcing everyone to sit at home and watch telly will reduce road deaths. The problem is the inappropriate use of speed and to fix that costs a lot of time, effort and money much cheaper to beat everyone with a big stick.

Love, light, and kindness,

Dave