fuel cards

DelB

Premier Member
I think with most gift cards is that you need to go inside to use them. And we all know, for LD riding, one never wants to get off that machina

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You guys are killing me.

As an Aussie, riding LD in the States is card madness. 6 Aussie cards mixed credit and debit, 'international' Cash Passport, $500 Walmart card that I couldn't register 'cos I don't have a social security number.

Some machines take a PIN, most want a Zip code (whatever that is) so guessing whether the machine wants my Aussie zip/post code with a couple of zeros in front or 90210 or 000000 and at which brand of gas station what state (a credit or a debit card state) and how many attempts before the machine swallows the card.

It's almost never worked in about 20,000 'on the clock' miles in the US. Instead it is a matter of get off, go inside, leave a deposit, go outside, fill up, go inside, get change, go outside, ride off.

In fact the card swipe has only ever worked once for me. Pre-dawn out on Highway 50 heading for Ely on the way to Sacramento I pulled in with a plan to fill up, buy my drinks for the hot day coming and have a leak.

Instead the pump just started up when I did the swipe! I was so overjoyed that I filled up while on the bike and rode off into the dark a happy chappy.

To this day I think a burst bladder would have been worth it.

michiel kerkhof

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have solved that problem....all you need is a good friend over there who gets an extra creditcard on his bank account....of course I put a decent sum in his account first....so I have a card that works on US postalcode....that bank has been warned the card may be used in several states each day for a 2 week period.....works like a dream!

Gerry Arel

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm sure that there are lots of answers to this, but in my experiences when you find a solution, stick with it. I have 2 'major bank' credit cards that I use when I ride and one of them always flags at the 2nd or 3rd gas stop for a 'security verification' that requires I call them no matter how many times I contact them prior to leaving. Another, however, has been awesome - I spoke once many years ago to their fraud dept and told them what my trip use would look like and they have never once blocked a small charge. In fact, the rep that I spoke with got quite a kick out of 'needing gas' multiple times in 24 hours and assured me it would never be a problem :)

I use the crappy one for hotels and 'normal people' purchases ... but on the road I know what to leave handy in my sleeve pocket!

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Gift cards? NO!

Here's why - when your $15 purchase of gas does is sets the initial amount to $50, $75 or whatever amount is legally available for you to pump that gas verifying your card is good.

As soon as you're done, the fuel stop then does that "Oh, well, only $15 of gas is purchased, so the hold can be removed!" In some cases that's 24 - 72 hours that your card has that (much) larger amount held up by the financial institution.

So, that's why major credit cards are the only thing to have - calling them to let them know about those sorts of purchases. I have a great relationship with my credit union - one debit card, one credit card is enough.

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I've had my card shut off a few times for over use in a day, I got a text asking if it was me but I didn't see the text until I got my ph out to call the bank, I didn't know about setting alerts, so hopefully I have that problem fixed. I've also had my credit card number stolen from a gas pump, that's also gut wrenching when your on vacation.

Clive Brown

Premier Member
Solution for myself as a Canadian was the Royal Bank. They offer a USA based credit card and debit card. Only "glitch" is you need
to change the mailing address ( can do on line AFTER setting up acct ) to a USA address. I used the address of a hotel I stay at
frequently while down there. USA based credit card and a separate debit card with a zip that the pumps like! Still have to let em know
about the multiple small purchases. Have not had them shut it down yet...

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
I have had my card rejected at the pump, usually at about the third stop, even though I called my credit card Co. prior to the ride , but the card was accepted by the machine inside the store. That's not a problem for me since my gas range and bladder range are about the same. I need to go inside anyway. And at my age, the walk inside is probably good also, to reduce the chance of blood clots forming in my legs. :)

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I have had my card rejected at the pump, usually at about the third stop, even though I called my credit card Co. prior to the ride , but the card was accepted by the machine inside the store. That's not a problem for me since my gas range and bladder range are about the same. I need to go inside anyway. And at my age, the walk inside is probably good also, to reduce the chance of blood clots forming in my legs. :)
Doing the pee pee dance on the bike isn't fun, it's especially hard to hold it when the gas starts flowing, I don't know why, but as soon as it comes out of the nozzle I have to go to the bathroom right then.

I have solved that problem....all you need is a good friend over there who gets an extra creditcard on his bank account....of course I put a decent sum in his account first....so I have a card that works on US postalcode....that bank has been warned the card may be used in several states each day for a 2 week period.....works like a dream!

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Gas credit cards are easy to get and I have 4. I use each every so often just to make sure they still work. Usually purchase gas on a VISA that give miles. I have 3 VISAs just in case. Chevron is the only one that has turned me off in the past and a phone call to the banks works great. I figure having multiple cards doesn't cost anything and might save your ride some late night at the only station around that has open pumps.
However, there is a Shell station in Astoria, OR, right across the street from the harbor where the Light Ship Columbia is tied up. At sun up the pumps are open but will not take an out of state card. Grrrrrrrr......any kind of card from out of state.

Last edited:
Doing the pee pee dance on the bike isn't fun, it's especially hard to hold it when the gas starts flowing, I don't know why, but as soon as it comes out of the nozzle I have to go to the bathroom right then.
I know what you mean. As I am pulling into a fuel stop I say wow I don't have to pee. By the time I have the nozzle in the tank I am about ready to wet myself. I know it is all mental but tell my badder. I am glad I am not the only one with this relationship with the gas pump.

hmmm - we are attempting a SS1000 from vegas to sturgis in July - I have always paid in cash but that wont be an option at night - I need to work a way around this too....
US card machines don't use Chip & PIN yet do they?

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
hmmm - we are attempting a SS1000 from vegas to sturgis in July - I have always paid in cash but that wont be an option at night - I need to work a way around this too....
I haven't been to a gas station that uses the chip yet, I'd think paying by cash would be time consuming, I never know how much my bike will take, if you give the clerk to much money you'll have to go back in and get the change and receipt. Maybe a pre paid credit card would be better.

TheRoss

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Rawlins to Gillette may be the only stretch where paying by cash may be a problem. On the interstates you should be able to find 24 hour stations. If you are planning the ride in great detail, check out .thenextexit.com to plan gas stops. That site will list stations by interstate exit number and let you know if they are 24 hours and tell you which side of the interstate they are on. I try never to have to walk into the station, but for a 1000 mile day, there's plenty of time. Maybe leave Vegas early, 4 AM maybe, to get through the smaller highways in Wyoming during daytime hours? Just a few ideas for you. Good luck!

TheRoss

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
As to the cards working inside but not working at the pumps... transactions can be flagged by both the card companies and the gas stations. I have had the issue come up with Shell a few times. So in addition to informing my card issuers of my travel plans/dates, and carrying several different cards to cycle through, I also alternate the stations I stop at, stopping at an Exxon after a Shell, and then a Texaco, for example. Alternating both cards and stations, I have not been rejected at the pump and forced to walk inside in years.

Current thoughts are Vegas hotel to Rusk and then a gentle run to Sturgis thru mountain roads....

hopefully the leg via Wells (the other guys are insisting on Bonneville) gives us the 1k safely and it's a key receipt stop as the rest of it I think would be the shortest sensible route...
We don't quite get to Gillette this way
(I am hoping we feel well enough to go for another 500 the next morning :) )...

Attachments

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
However, there is a Shell station in Astoria, OR, right across the street from the harbor where the Light Ship Columbia is tied up. At sun up the pumps are open but will not take an out of state card. Grrrrrrrr......any kind of card from out of state.
Or a card from out of country..