fuel cards

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Some states want debit cards, some want credit cards, sometimes you 'pre-authorise' at the pump, some pumps take PIN numbers, some pumps take ZIP codes, some pumps take Aussie 4 digit Postcodes with a '0' in front, some pumps take '90210', some states you can pump your own gas, some states you can't pump your own gas..... It can get complicated buying gas in the US.

Some states want debit cards, some want credit cards, sometimes you 'pre-authorise' at the pump, some pumps take PIN numbers, some pumps take ZIP codes, some pumps take Aussie 4 digit Postcodes with a '0' in front, some pumps take '90210', some states you can pump your own gas, some states you can't pump your own gas..... It can get complicated buying gas in the US.
Good job it's the UNITED states - imagine the chaos if wasn't :)

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I had my credit card info stolen from a gas pump on a Montana trip last summer, I guess they put something in the card reader and get your info, so my bank said to give the card reader a tug and if something's in there it'll come out, luckily I had a another card, it can ruin a trip real quick.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Just out of curiosity do the Aussies or European cards work in the chip reader pumps in Canada? We're lagging behind but I imagine on a couple more years our US gas pumps will start to catch up.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I last rode in Canada inn the summer of 2013. I didn't use a chip reader pump for the handful of times I filled up and don't recall seeing one. I just filled up and paid inside. At one stop a US-based rider was preparing to leave as I arrived. He seemed amazed that you could fill before paying.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I and the wife spent a couple days traveling through Canada last year and I don't remember any issues, I know a couple of years ago we were up there and my cards didn't yet have chips and I had to go inside to pay.

cberry

Premier Member
Solution for myself as a Canadian was the Royal Bank. They offer a USA based credit card and debit card. Only "glitch" is you need
to change the mailing address ( can do on line AFTER setting up acct ) to a USA address. I used the address of a hotel I stay at
frequently while down there. USA based credit card and a separate debit card with a zip that the pumps like! Still have to let em know
about the multiple small purchases. Have not had them shut it down yet...
As a US citizen I have a similar problem in Canada. I think I have a solution (not yet tested). I have accounts with the TD Bank system which is a Canadian based bank. I'm planning to use the debit/credit card and the ATM card up there this summer. I've been told there are no extra fees for out of US transactions, and, I can get Canadian $$ at the ATM with no charge at any TD bank.

Doing the pee pee dance on the bike isn't fun, it's especially hard to hold it when the gas starts flowing, I don't know why, but as soon as it comes out of the nozzle I have to go to the bathroom right then.
That's why I carry an old fashioned clothes pin....Only once did a lady yell at me and tell me to get my hand out of my britches???