Garage epoxy floor DIY

R

raymondburke

I am looking to possibly do a DIY epoxy floor in my garage.....

Back story:

When my garage was poured last year the contractor did a terrible job, its a wavy, bumpy mess. Working with the home builder they have agreed to grind it level and help me remove and store everything in my garage. In the process of doing this it will likely leave the floor looking a bit inconsistent as some areas will look like exposed aggregate (kind of) and others will not. I have tried to work with the builder to have the floor finished off with epoxy for a consistent look and we are still working on who would cover what cost. At the end of the day I am pretty sure they would be willing to paint it to get a consistent look and thats likely it.

Seeing how the floor will be ground level I am told most of the prep work/cost for epoxy would be finished. I made a quick call to the Garage Store and they said it would be about $3300 to finish it off. At the end of the day its a garage floor and not a show room so could I finish it off with epoxy myself? I did some searching of old posts and believe had some success with this and I believe posted a thread about it (which i couldn't find).

Has anyone had luck with this?

Where can I buy a "commercial' type product and not the kit you buy from Canadian Tire?

I would consider having it done for me if the price was right I guess......

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It would be helpful to know your location. Your profile says UK, but you're referencing Canadian Tire would seem to indicate Canada. Knowing the province, if that's the case, would help others give you specific info or locations.

I've done epoxy floor coating when I worked for a city. It's not that hard, just make sure everything is roughed up and CLEAN as much as possible for the best adhesion. After that you can just roller it on like paint. And do yourself a favor, take the time to mask around the walls with normal painter's tape.

Most paint stores like Sherwin-Williams will have epoxy paint for floors. That was the source used when I worked for a small city and did this stuff. Public bathroom floors and similar. Call some of your local paint stores and see what options they offer.