Garmin Zumo 396 LMT gets stupid when it rains

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I've developed a problem with my Zumo 396. Everything works fine until it rains, and then the unit acts like the cradle doesn't have power anymore. So the 396 constantly wants to power down unless I tell it to Cancel, at which point it runs on batteries until it dies.

When it quits raining and things start drying out, then power from the cradle starts working again and things go normally.

Has anyone else run into this? I can't figure out how water is causing the cradle to lose power. It seems logical that water is shorting out something and causing the power supply to trip (it's self-resetting), but I don't see any obvious signs of water ingress.

Russ Black

Premier Member
I use Nuvi's which are not waterproof in any way. I put a ziplock bag over it and the mount. It's mounted to the windshield vent so I have to close that too. I used to secure the open end with tape or a rubber band but found that wasn't necessary. You might also trace your power cord. Perhaps you could spray water on isolated parts to simulate rain until you find the problem. Spray up and under to simulate tire spray. Good luck.

Firstpeke

I have had intermittent power up issues with my Zumo XT so stared treating the mount connector with ACF50 and exercising the spring loaded pins afterwards to get the ACF into the connector...... this seems to cure this issues but once water gets in it is only a matter of time before something may fail unless you keep dosing the connector with ACF50...... I guess putting a plastic bag over the mount when not in use would help but of course water is going to get in during serious rain when on the move.....

Long term cure would likely be a new mount....

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It's fairly common for riders to use some dielectric grease on the cradle connection points/pins. Beyond that, have you taken a hard look at where the 12v connection to fuse block or battery occurs? Loose fuse pins, corrosion at connectors on the battery or fuse block? Some mini needlenose pliers can sometimes be useful to 'tighten up' a fuse holder's female connectors.

maxrider

Premier Member
What Kerri said (water intrusion issues with the inline power transformer)I went ahead and wrapped electrical tape around that box, works great so far.

Sportsterpaul

Using di-Electric here as well,(I use that shit on everything)! Learning to pop the power connector top on when pulling the Zumo off it’s mount.

Last edited:

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Another interesting observation...

I hand washed the bike in the driveway shade yesterday morning (no power washer, just a foam cannon and sprinkler head on garden hose pressure). I made sure to take the GPS off the cradle, and I put the little rubber boot over the power pins.

Washed the bike normally (i.e. only using the foam cannon on the body work and hand washing with a mitt), and when I was done washing, rinsing, and blowing the bike dry with a leaf blower...

The cradle was dead again.

I took some Caig Deox-It to the power pins in the cradle and kept pushing them in and out while shooting in a little more Deox-It. Eventually the cradle started powering up the GPS again, but reluctantly.

It seems that the pins are getting corroded inside the power lead, but I don't know if this can be saved or if it's time to buy another cradle.