Garmin Zumo 396 - Too Much Information?

John ZRX

I haven't had any further power outages since using some of the advice on my previous thread - thank you all.
However, I am puzzled and frustrated by a "feature" on this model which Garmin seem to think is useful. That feature displays "Incidents". So when I enter a Trip downloaded from Basecamp and ride along it, every so often a third of my screen is taken up with "Incident Detected" followed by "Nearest Address ............" This is usually a postal address in a nearby town or village but which bears no relationship to the road I am on or where I am going. There is an invite to get "More" (information I guess) by touching "More" on the screen and there's an "X" at the top of the message which will remove it. Both are too small to hit accurately with a gloved finger and not advised while moving, so I have to put up with this useless piece of information covering a third of my screen until it eventually deletes itself - presumably when I pass out of the range of that "Incident". I have never felt the need nor the opportunity to stop and press "More" to see what else the messages say. I haven't linked my mobile phone to the device so far as I don't have blue tooth on my helmet. I can't find a way to disable this feature and it's getting pretty annoying.
So, has anyone got the same feature on their device, is it useful if linked to something else and how do you use it - or how do you get rid of it if, like me, you find it a distraction.
Thanks,
John

Updated 2125 17/04/2019 - The Incident Detected function is not for "road/traffic" incident detection but for detecting incidents involving one's own bike and has an option to set up a nominated contact to whom the device will send an SMS e.g. it can send an emergency SMS in circumstances where you are unable to do so yourself. My device is therefore detecting false incidents. See my post lower down with link to a Garmin user forum and further info.

Last edited:

John ZRX

Thanks Uncle Z but it seems Garmin have decreed this feature is part of the package whether I want it or not. I had looked at the page on your link previously. This will disable the SMS sending sevice when you have already set up an Incident Contact on your linked mobile/cell phone. I don't want to set up an Incident Contact and I don't see the point of the feature since so far any Incidents it has shown as detected have been irrelevant to me and my journey yet I can't disable it.

Bob M

IBA Member
Hi,
I know this will sound silly but have you phoned Garmin UK. I had a few issues with my zumo 660 and I have to say that on each occasion the help that I got was superb. Might just be worth a call.
good luck,
Bob

John ZRX

Hi,
I know this will sound silly but have you phoned Garmin UK. I had a few issues with my zumo 660 and I have to say that on each occasion the help that I got was superb. Might just be worth a call.
good luck,
Bob
Not silly at all, Bob, all input gratefully received. I can't find an answer on line so I guess phone help is my next step. Good to know you had a positive experience.
John

John ZRX

Too late to phone Garmin tonight but may find time tomorrow otherwise it will be next Tuesday. Meanwhile.......I have been Googling and found this...............

https://www.zumouserforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=121

Quite a few people worldwide experiencing the same issue. The Incident is not a traffic warning etc, as I thought, but the device itself detecting an "incident" allegedly involving one's bike and thus automatically notifying a nominated contact if you have that set up - gives you 30 seconds to cancel it. Users are experiencing Incident Detections when there is no Incident to detect i.e. false indications. Glad I didn't set up a contact - bad enough having 1/3 of the screen obscured with fake news without getting SWMBO involved.
Seems this is a software/sensitivity glitch which Garmin have been made aware of but do not seem to have successfully fixed despite encouragement from a popular US bike magazine months ago. Recommended fix seems to be a reset to factory settings and updating to latest software which is a pain if you've selected lots of personal preferences which delete on reset, but there are reports of the glitch returning anyway. My device is only a few months old and fully up to date.
I will post any response from Garmin on here in due course.

Last edited:

bmbob

IBA Member
Hi John ZRX
Thanks for posting the link to zumoforums, I didn't know they were back on the internet.
I've just signed up again, they packed in a few years ago, which was a shame as they had good information.
Ride safe
Regards Bob

John ZRX

I spoke to Garmin UK support today. Advisor not aware of this issue in general and had to go off to seek advice himself. Concluded it is possibly a sensitivity issue with the sensor in the device which triggers the Incident Detection function. Said there is a difference in sensitivity between Bike and Car mode, the Bike mode being less sensitive. As I was unsure which mode I had the device in when the issue occured (I swap the device between vehicles including my car) I agreed to try again ensuring that I was in Bike mode on my next trip. Not sure when that will be but will have to pay more attention and record circumstances if it happens again.

c10

I am not having this issue with my 396 . Bought it the 1st week it was avaible on Garmin site in the USA . I only use it on the bike in bike mode.
It has seen one software update so far.