Gas in North Carolina and VA.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I (we) have a Wedding to attend Fri Afternoon in Raleigh, NC. Plan is to blast down tomorrow (Thur) on the Bike from New Hampshire. Not a cert ride or anything just a ride. I am testing GPS installs and Spot Tracker for upcoming Big Ride.

What is the real availability/Non Availability of Gas from New England down to Raleigh. I'll probably stay inland of the I95 corridor. I try to work my stops so I fill up somewhere in southern VA about 90 100 miles north of Raleigh which should get me back to about the same place going home Saturday.

igneouss

Premier Member
I'm in VA near 66/81. A few local outages of regular gas. I have been able to get gas when I needed it. If you can use high-test you will be fine. If you need regular you might not get your first choice of stations. Otherwise, no big deal here. My reading suggests PA and north are no problem but you may want to avoid NYC and Boston metro areas for gas stops.

mkao1248

Premier Member
I live in Hampton Roads area of Virginia (Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake) and some stations are running empty due to the surge of folks stocking up. Hopefully further inland isn't the same.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm in VA near 66/81. A few local outages of regular gas. I have been able to get gas when I needed it. If you can use high-test you will be fine. If you need regular you might not get your first choice of stations. Otherwise, no big deal here. My reading suggests PA and north are no problem but you may want to avoid NYC and Boston metro areas for gas stops.
No issues here in Orange County NY. Prices were jacked up by about .20-.30 a gallon but that's more greedy bastard dirt bags than anything else.

I was also just down in Port Clinton, PA near Philly this morning, no gas shortages, lines or other issues.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
This seems to be changing by the minute. I have a friend in southern MD who saw no gas issues this morning ran out for lunch and found several gas stations closed and huge lines at the others.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
This seems to be changing by the minute. I have a friend in southern MD who saw no gas issues this morning ran out for lunch and found several gas stations closed and huge lines at the others.
People are are boneheads when it comes to this stuff. I bet 90 percent of those cars had more then half a tank and a remaining stock pile of TP in thier trunks.

Last edited:

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Current plan is a 0500 start then I84 out of New England to Wilkes Barre then I81 south to Harrisburg and take US 15 south most of the rest of the way Hopefully we'll avoid most of the Hoarders. May put a Gallon Jug in the side bag as a reserve.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Boy, if there was ever a time to have aux fuel, this might be it. ;)

News geeks report the pipeline has returned to operational status, but it will take time (like a couple of weeks) for things to get back to normal.

Russ, that gallon of fuel might not be a bad idea.

Luck to ya!

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I think this gas issue and the TP runs last year have shown us that when faced with any sort of deviation from the expected norm, many Americans become selfish b**tards.

"Prudent planning" still seems to be the phrase of the day.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I think this gas issue and the TP runs last year have shown us that when faced with any sort of deviation from the expected norm, many Americans become selfish b**tards.

"Prudent planning" still seems to be the phrase of the day.
Let's be fair, Americans weren't the only ones in the world hoarding things....

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
No
No?

We certainly did seem to go into "hold my beer and watch THIS!" mode, however.
No, we weren't. Plenty of reports as well as first hand discussions with friends and co-workers from the UK, Australia, Canada and Mexico to name just a few countries where people were hoarding items.

It's a society issue, not an American issue.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I live in America, so I speak of my experiences in America.

Any time I speak of something somewhere else, someone inevitably comes along to kick me in the teeth and say "You don't live here, so shut up."

Nationalistic offense is as predictable as the morning sunrise.

Feel free to pick on the French, though. They seem to like it. ;)

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
We are here without any real problem there are a lot of stations without gas in VA and NC. There were some lines in a few places but not horrible lines. I started fueling way early and last got it at 110 miles out. We're here till tomorrow don't expect to be on the bike at all while we are here but figur I've got a hundred miles to find gas on the way back north. On thing about coming down US15 through VA was it allowed us to see which stations were out or had a line without getting off an exit.

Because of performance mods on my bike, I have to run "premium" (min 91 octane), otherwise it'll get detonation like crazy. Here in southeast Alabama, today there's still gas stations that are out. The Shell station I normally use had a fuel truck out there refilling the station, and a few days ago they only had two pumps open, today they had all pumps open but still have no 89 or 93, only 87 octane.

Several other stations are still closed those some have opened back up. Crazy thing, Alabama isn't even served by that pipeline and of course, a bunch of people locally panicked in spite of local government pleading with them. And then a bunch of Georgia and Florida people were here near the beginning, filling up giant 5 gallon barrels. -_-

In the meantime, you can search on Gas Buddy to see what stations are open, and even filter by what grade of gas. It'll also show you to the side when it was most recently updated:
https://www.gasbuddy.com/home

received_300838134902186.jpeg