G'day fellow IBA'ers. Coming down under for a trip

Sjef Vanderaa

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I will be coming to Australia for the month of October for a nice motorcycle vacation. First trip there, and not planning to bust myself across the country. I have a route set out, which I will post which just has one section from Kosciusko National park, where as far as I can see the Murray River starts (about) and follow it to Adelaide, where it enters the Ocean. The other parts/legs are a work in progress. And look forward to input for potential sights along the way. The trip will start and Finish in Brisbane. And looking forward to meet some new and old friends along the way.

Sjef V.

Attachments

Ed.

Premier Member
Great stuff, Sjef! I can't see the route at the moment but will try again on the laptop. From your description, it will cover an excellent range of landscapes and riding to get a flavour of the country! The Snowy mountains (Kosciuszko) in October could be anything from spectacular perfect weather to still snowing and miserable- but most likely to be perfect. While we call them "mountains " they are more like rolling hills if we are at all comparative, but the riding is great and the scenery and bush unlike anything you've seen before.
I'm just out of Canberra not far from the the Snowies so will keep an eye on your planning and see if I can be in the area at the same time. Also feel free to contact if you need a hand.
Do you know yet what type of bike you will be on? If you don't mind a little bit of good dirt roads there are heaps of extra options for route planning.

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Sjef!

Looking forward to seeing you here in Australia! Your starting/finishing point of Brisbane gives you some great roads to ride as you head south through NSW and into the Snowies/Victoria.
Rebeca and I would love to catch up again/relive old IBR glory days with you.

See you in October!

Derrick

IBR Finisher
Hi Sjef,

I am Melbourne based, so at the very least we can do a Lunch or Dinner on the way through, and likely join for a ride as well. Plenty of good advice here already, and i'm sure more to come. Ask away on things like accommodation options, lunch stops, geographical peculiarities and the plain old wierd things Australia has to offer.

Hell, if you give us a theme we can really go to town! :D

Rgds

Derrick (2001 IBR, IBA#202)

Sjef Vanderaa

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Great stuff, Sjef! I can't see the route at the moment but will try again on the laptop. From your description, it will cover an excellent range of landscapes and riding to get a flavour of the country! The Snowy mountains (Kosciuszko) in October could be anything from spectacular perfect weather to still snowing and miserable- but most likely to be perfect. While we call them "mountains " they are more like rolling hills if we are at all comparative, but the riding is great and the scenery and bush unlike anything you've seen before.
I'm just out of Canberra not far from the the Snowies so will keep an eye on your planning and see if I can be in the area at the same time. Also feel free to contact if you need a hand.
Do you know yet what type of bike you will be on? If you don't mind a little bit of good dirt roads there are heaps of extra options for route planning.
Hi Ed, thanks for the reply and info, nice meeting you. I will be on one of Ian's bikes. And I'm working on my route and details. But I will be following the Murray river as close as I can, or at least will try to find some great spots along its path. And once I get closer to the trip, I will post my tracker link as well.

Sjef Vanderaa

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Sjef,

I am Melbourne based, so at the very least we can do a Lunch or Dinner on the way through, and likely join for a ride as well. Plenty of good advice here already, and i'm sure more to come. Ask away on things like accommodation options, lunch stops, geographical peculiarities and the plain old wierd things Australia has to offer.

Hell, if you give us a theme we can really go to town! :D

Rgds

Derrick (2001 IBR, IBA#202)
Hey Derrick, great to hear. Yeah looking forward to hear about all the great spots along the way. The trip is not an IBA Mile buster, but do plan to get a cert or two along the way of course. And if nothing unplanned goes amiss, I should have some extra fat days in the schedule.

Sjef Vanderaa

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Sjef!

Looking forward to seeing you here in Australia! Your starting/finishing point of Brisbane gives you some great roads to ride as you head south through NSW and into the Snowies/Victoria.
Rebeca and I would love to catch up again/relive old IBR glory days with you.

See you in October!
Hey Martin, yeah looking forward to the trip for sure, and def want to meet up with you and Becca again as well.

Kimmie

Hi Sjef,
I actually live at the foot on the Snowy Mountains in a little town called Corryong VIC not far from the Murray River.
If you need a stopover and somewhere to put the bike let me know - we have a spare room & huge garage.

The roads through the National Park are awesome and hopefully not covered in snow in October. Equally as nice and twisty is the Murray River Road and with a little detour you can do Granya Gap down and back before going getting back onto the Murray River Road or you can just follow the Murray Valley Highway into Albury.

Enjoy the planning & I'll also keep an eye out for your tracker.
Kimmie

Sjef Vanderaa

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Sjef,
I actually live at the foot on the Snowy Mountains in a little town called Corryong VIC not far from the Murray River.
If you need a stopover and somewhere to put the bike let me know - we have a spare room & huge garage.

The roads through the National Park are awesome and hopefully not covered in snow in October. Equally as nice and twisty is the Murray River Road and with a little detour you can do Granya Gap down and back before going getting back onto the Murray River Road or you can just follow the Murray Valley Highway into Albury.

Enjoy the planning & I'll also keep an eye out for your tracker.
Kimmie

Hi Kimmie,

Nice to meet you, and thanks for the amazing offer, will very likely take you up on that. It sounds great. Thanks for the advice and will fine tune my route accordingly. Look forward to the trip and to meet you.

Sjef