Gerlach - Circle Of Honor/IBA Memorial

I just heard that the picnic table was re-painted recently. The bench is natural cedar and does not need to be painted.

The color of the picnic table really isn't that big a deal. When I donated the picnic table I used one I had at my house that was very sturdy and it happened to be red, so I re-painted it red as needed. I started with Behr 30 year rated paint, if I recall. That would last for a couple of years or more. I will contact the current caretaker and let him know about your offer. Maybe that is something to try in the future. Thank you for your suggestion and generous offer.
You're right, it didnt need to be painted...but now that it is, I was thinking of giving it a color that would last a bit longer than red. I'm also a wood finisher. I prefer a preservative on cedar but, thats not going to happen without stripping it. I won't be prepared for that while on my ride but if a local could get it to their house (off BLM), I'd be happy to take it back down to natural and put a preservative on it.
Just thinking out loud here..

keithu

Premier Member
I’ll bet that was 1997. I was late to the bonfire, that’s part of the saga. G
Me too. Kay Vetter, Mike Heran, and me rode too far up the paved road and got onto the wrong part of the BRD, around an outcropping so we didn't even see the fireworks. Oh well, we still had fun BSing and stargazing.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You're right, it didn't need to be painted...but now that it is, I was thinking of giving it a color that would last a bit longer than red. I'm also a wood finisher. I prefer a preservative on cedar but, thats not going to happen without stripping it. I won't be prepared for that while on my ride but if a local could get it to their house (off BLM), I'd be happy to take it back down to natural and put a preservative on it.
Just thinking out loud here..
To be clear, there is a two person bench at the edge of the circle that is cedar. I know, I made it. There is also a picnic table that is painted barn red, or some derivative thereof. The picnic table is probably fir, but I honestly don't know. I donated that, but did not make it and it was already painted when I fell heir to it. Stripping it would not be reasonable and it is chained to the desert floor, as is the bench.

I forwarded this thread to the current caretaker and he should have PM'd you. It's his call.

Part of the idea is to keep things relatively low key. A green or blue that didn't leap out, visually, from the road, would not really be a problem, imho.

The bench can just be seen to the left behind a rock, just right of the license plate tree.

Georgemowry

Happy Motorcyclist
Premier Member
IBA Member
I want to leave a rock for my friend and great Joe Mandeville. How big a rock do I need? Can I paint his IBA number as a tribute?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I want to leave a rock for my friend and great Joe Mandeville. How big a rock do I need? Can I paint his IBA number as a tribute?
Joe should already have a rock placed in the Circle. If you've been there recently and believe it to be missing, PM me so I can pass that on to the current caretaker.

For future reference, only the caretaker makes the rocks. Upon request at the time of the IBA member's passing, it has been arranged to provide the finished rock for a close friend or family member to place, and instructions on doing that are provided at the time.

Because of the IBA's arrangement with the BLM and Friends of Black Rock the format of the rocks is required to be white lettering on bare rocks to fit in with Dooby's previous art work on Guru Lane. Polished rocks are not used for this reason.

Occasionally the caretaker will find a rock placed w/o permission. When this happens, it is removed. This doesn't apply to Joe, (because we know he is an IBA member), but only IBA members will have rocks placed inside the circle. Rare individuals that have a special connection to the IBA may have rocks placed outside the circle, but within the ring of large boulders. Pat Widder is an example of this. He was a great friend of the IBA, but is not an IBA member.

While the only threshold for having a rock in the circle is IBA membership, we are not on a mission to place a rock for every single IBA member that passes. There just isn't room. Typically they are well known in the community enough that their passing is mentioned here or on the LDRider list, or a personal request is made by a friend or family member. In one case, a member specifically requested that no stone be placed in his honor, prior to his passing, and that request has been honored.