Getting through Houston and San Antonio

Matt Hube

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Will be coming through both of these places from west to east on I-10. I have been through before and stayed on 10 and had no issues mainly because I got lucky on the timing. Don't know what time I'll be coming through, so I wanted opinions on the best routes.

Houston - Sam Houston Tollway, 601 or stay on 10?

San Antonio - 410 or stay on 10?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Matt

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Tollway is always better. I go to Houston a few times a year and the Sam Houston always is my go to. Traffic is just too unpredictable in Houston...except around the galleria area, then you can be sure there is traffic at most any time during the day.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
There is a nice loop road on the north side of San Antonio that cuts some miles and time off. It is the 1604 Loop and is a nice big road most of the way. It can get a little busy at rush hours.

For Houston I just stay on I-10 right through town. I do take the express lanes on the west side of Houston coming into town as I have a TX toll transponder.

In SA, 410 is a better option than 10 during the day. 1604 was designed to be a better loop, but it never is! Nighttime stay on 10. Daytime use 410 loop.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I managed to time my 50cc run that I got into Houston right at the time that the express lanes had no charges - like 11am - 3pm or some such.

I was westbound, FWIW.

c10

Traffic is light currently in Houston . Even today with lock down over all schools are closed so no kid / bus traffic . Stay on I-10