GL1800 and tall riders

JON12A

IBAUK's retired Shop Keeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
I've recently bought a 2001 goldwing 1800 . Its a second bike bought to share the LD mileage with my main bike a gsa1200.
For such a big bike I find the Wing seating position cramped , I'm 6FT 3 and need to stretch out a bit more
I feel the need to sit further back and really wanted to know what you guys have done to yours and with what products.
I have a Russel day long on the gsa and they are fantastic but not sure if they can alter the position on the Goldwing backwards due to the large built in backrest.
Then I would need to bring the bars back also.
Anyway thank you for any advise you can give.

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
I'm 6'1" and use Bar Risers on my 2002 which made a huge difference to reducing my back pain. I too wish I could sit a little further back. Have you spoken to RDL about that?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
It's a common complaint from the taller riders on the GL1800 platform. At 5' 8", I don't have that issue - at all. ;)

Being that you're in the UK, it might be one of those situations you might have to procure a GL1800 seat pan here stateside if you were wanting any type of custom effort done here, then shipped to you, but I've got to believe there's suitable establishments there close to you that could do a similar level of effort.

I think you can get about 50mm (2 in.) aft, but not much more than that, since you're now taking padding away.

There's got to be some riders in the UK that's had work like that done...I'd think.

I've put bar risers on myself, designed by a fellow GL1800 rider. He no longer advertises them, but PM me for detail if you're interested.

I didn't do that on my first bike; shoulders were always sore, especially on multi-day rides. These have helped - a lot!

Luck to ya!

JON12A

IBAUK's retired Shop Keeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks for the info guys, looking at bar risers I found a set helibars that look good but expensive.
Spoke to Russel day long and they can move my seat back 2 inch so things are looking up.
Thanks Matt for the wingsoft link I am presently getting some info of of them.

Owsley

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks for the info guys, looking at bar risers I found a set helibars that look good but expensive.
Spoke to Russel day long and they can move my seat back 2 inch so things are looking up.
Thanks Matt for the wingsoft link I am presently getting some info of of them.
Good morning. I am only 6 ft tall, but also need all the legroom I can get. I asked Russell to give me as much height and scoot me back as far as possible. It took three times, still not perfect but close. Be sure and tell them specifically what you want when ordering. I did, but still took 3 trys.

WY88

Premier Member
6'2", 35.5 inseam, I was jammed up on my 2015 Wing. Kury Ergo III highway pegs, Helibars, Ultimate King seat. Ultimate is OK, just not a perfect 17+ hour a day seat (for me). Orders placed today for Russell Seats have scheduled build dates in Sept, still going to order one.