Gold and Insanity Rides...Mile Eater Program

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Regarding the Mile Eater Program, for a Bronze I need 5 rides of which 2 must be Gold or Insanity, I have looked but can't find a listing for Insanity Rides in the UK Documented Rides, I can for the Gold, is an 'Insanity Ride' a US thing?

1544097972989.png

Jonnyp

IBA Member
Hi Kim.

Been looking at this myself.

I’ll happily be corrected but I think any ride over the 1k miles such as a BBG is counted as gold/insanity/extreme and any multi day ride is too. Four corners, fully monty...etc.

I’ve got 5 rides to my name now, one BBG1500 and the rest are SS1000’s so I need one more gold to get the bronze level. I’m thinking of a four corners next year...

I’m sure, Ziggy, Gordon, Phil or Martin will advise..

I’d be interested in what UK theamed rides, are over 48hrs as the normal ones (SS1000 BBG1500, four corners, fully monty...etc) are sub 48 hrs. I understand the SS3000/4000/5000etc are over 48hrs.

Jon

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Thanks Jon, I'm also planning on a 4 Corners / N.E.W.S and an E2E Gold next year seeing as there no big rally's to speak of...yet.
Hopefully, Germany does one, I've signed up for Peter & Conny's 12Stunden in Switzerland, but that's only 12 hours, I like the big multi-day rally's, preferably in Europe. I realise they take a lot of planning and time to organise, so not complaining.

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
Hi Kim, Jon,

The answer can be found if you look at the 'Big List' of rides: http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/. Specific rides have been designated as 'Insanity'; for example, if you do an SS1000 on a sub-300cc scooter, that's a Gold ride, and if you do a BBG on one, it's 'Insanity'. There aren't any UK-specific Insanity rides.

However, that list doesn't have all the variations - it doesn't show the E2E Gold, and the relatively new N.E.W.S. Lighthouse ride isn't there at all. That ride has two variants, by the way; the regular version has to be done in under 55 hours, so is (I think) the only UK-specific ride over 48 hours. And then there's the Gold variant, for completion in under 48 hours. Also, on the Full Monty page on ironbutt.co.uk, that ride is described as 'extreme' (meaning you can't do it as your first IBA ride) - so presumably that qualifies as a Gold ride, although it doesn't say so - something for Phil to clarify, I guess.

Regards,
Martin

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the info, that List is exactly what I'm looking for...damn there's a lot of Rides! Better get busy...
How about we (Saphena) put a link on the IBAUK site ?! just a thought

Regards,
Kim

Jonnyp

IBA Member
Well Martin. Thanks for two things.

Firstly the ‘,’ between our names others wise it would look like the IBA had a communist dictator as a member (well it made me smile). And secondly, I’d not seen that list and now I’m depressed that I live on a tiny island.

Jon

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
If we had a dictator, I have a feeling it would be Kim Jon Wrong-Un...

Yes, it does bring home how limited we are for long rides; I think the Full Monty is the best of what we've got, and it's difficult to see what else we could come up with. There's scope for some additional named rides - a Ride Around Yorkshire SS1000, for example. Or maybe a special award for someone doing an SS1000 in each of England, Scotland, Wales and NI. The Welsh one would be particularly challenging as the obvious road to make it a lap - south from Wrexham - strays into England around Oswestry. For NI, you'd need to devise a lap of around 200-250 miles; the challenge there would be the number of stops you'd need on each lap, and the relatively slow average speed on the roads.

Regards,
Martin

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
You just got silly at a lap of Yorkshire.....
Hull - Bridlington- Yarm - Ingleton - Sheffield - Hull; it's a 317-mile lap, so you'd need to add a bit on. And I think it owuld be a struggle to do that, with the 15 or 16 stops needed, inside 24 hours.

Regards,
Martin

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
At 8 hours to do 317 miles, of course, we could move faster, but as you say there's a lot of receipts to pick up!

1544185029471.png

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
If we had a dictator, I have a feeling it would be Kim Jon Wrong-Un...

Yes, it does bring home how limited we are for long rides; I think the Full Monty is the best of what we've got, and it's difficult to see what else we could come up with. There's scope for some additional named rides - a Ride Around Yorkshire SS1000, for example. Or maybe a special award for someone doing an SS1000 in each of England, Scotland, Wales and NI. The Welsh one would be particularly challenging as the obvious road to make it a lap - south from Wrexham - strays into England around Oswestry. For NI, you'd need to devise a lap of around 200-250 miles; the challenge there would be the number of stops you'd need on each lap, and the relatively slow average speed on the roads.

Regards,
Martin
Already exists as the BISSI, (British Isles Saddle Sore Insanity) only completed by Kevin and Lynn. (It can be completed a bit at a time) I think Chris K had a go at the Welsh section but gave up on his second lap after following a Gritter for miles and chipping ice off his visor.
The Irish section is just that, Ireland.

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Already exists as the BISSI, (British Isles Saddle Sore Insanity) only completed by Kevin and Lynn. (It can be completed a bit at a time) I think Chris K had a go at the Welsh section but gave up on his second lap after following a Gritter for miles and chipping ice off his visor.
The Irish section is just that, Ireland.
Gordon, I don't see that ride listed anywhere, including the link Martin provided above...

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Kim it was on the old forum. If you search the list of rides completed using bissi or bisi it should come up. Just complete 1 ride in each country (Ireland being classed as one country) in any time period, claim your bissi.
Simples

Just checked, it's not on the system. The individual rides are.

Last edited: