GPS = expensive Maps = annoying

Hi,

I would strongly recommend a smartphone+Google maps as the "best" option for route navigation. When done properly (as explained below), it can prove to be the most cost effective alternative to dedicated GPS units.

1. Install (if not already installed) Google Maps on your smartphone.
2. Download your route over your home wifi as explained here. https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?co=GENIE.Platform=iOS&hl=en
3. Use a bike phone mount like https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Motorcycle-Cell-Phone-Mount/dp/B015UIPMH2, there are lots of alternatives and they come pretty cheap. ($15-35, don't spend too much on this).
4. The phone can be protected from the elements using cheap rain covers like https://www.amazon.com/LifeProof-iP...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=H1G37SG9FXC8VQ41C90G ($15-30, don't spend too much on these either, you're only going to use them for the ride and not everyday)
5. You can extend battery life by using a battery backpack like the ones listed here - https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers...le-Phone-Power-Banks/zgbs/wireless/7073960011. They range from as low as $12. A decent powerbank (in the range of $30-50) will extend your phone's battery life by another day on full charge.

As others have pointed out, you can set multiple waypoints for your ride on Google Maps, and download for offline usage the entire route. Just play with the app for a bit before your ride, you'll get comfortable on how to use it. Personally, I find it very intuitive and convenient compared to the user interface on dedicated GPS devices.

With the additional gear mentioned above, it'll set your wallet back by $50-$100, depending on what you get. Not to mention it is convenient too, you just need a couple of hours of playing with to get used to the app, etc.

Good luck for your ride!

RichmonS

Premier Member
I use a 595LM as my motorcycle GPS. I would always recommend the unit as more than just a navigational aid. You can absolutely navigate your route with a map but a unit like the Zumo does much more than raw navigation.

It allows me to take calls while riding and listen to music. This has been invaluable to me in keeping me engaged while riding.
It allows for ways to avoid traffic jams and seeing what is up the road prior to getting there.
It allows me to accurately track my pace.
There is no need to use bubbler since the Garmin tracking application will allow people you share the URL with the ability to track your progress. This is the number one reason my wife loves the unit.

I still have a print out of the Google turn by turn as a backup but I use my 595LM for much more than turn by turn directions.

There is no need to use bubbler since the Garmin tracking application will allow people you share the URL with the ability to track your progress. This is the number one reason my wife loves the unit.
I haven't tried Garmin tracking; does it save the route after completion if you need to submit for additional proof of ride route?

RichmonS

Premier Member
It is not available after 24 hours. What I do is download the tracks via BaseCamp and upload them into Spotwalla as my backup verification. It is another step but, I do it anyway because I attach my receipt pictures and other notes into the Spotwall trip.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have a app called GPX Viewer on my Android phone and it is very nice. It will use the same waypoint symbols as in Basecamp and does routes.

But for when I ride where there is no cell phone service ( surprisingly there are still a lot of places in the US including most high mountain ranges and where I bought property in western NC ) I must have at least one good GPS, ok I admit two GPS's.

I have a Garmin Dezl 770 as my low cost alternative as it also has the ability to connect to a Bluetooth headset like a Sena. The refurbished Dezl 770 is around $279. Check out my webpage how I use low cost GPS's.

http://www.gregrice.com/2012v2/2797/garmin2797.html

I have a Zumo 590 (forerunner of 595), Zumo 665 (sunsetted and used mostly for XM), and Nuvi 2797 (modded or moto use).

Zumo 665:
-Memory is not large enough to hold the current (2018.2) release of maps from Garmin so some parts of NA are on a MicroSD card.
-Routing is just weird, it will tell you to get off the interstate and then right back on.
-Bluetooth can interfere with XM radio (this is well documented)
-Mini-USB connector and cannot be used with back off of it.
-SLOW in route calculation
-Garmin will not service it
+SiriusXM works nicely is most of NorthAmerica
+ebook reader (Audible.com compatible)
+MP3 player
+XM Weather and traffic can be useful in US only - do not function in Canada or Mexico.
+The ride data works and is useful when riding a rally
+Waterproof
+Nice cradle
+Good battery life and can be taken for a walk to a bonus - if needed.
+Palmdr.com will service it

Nuvi 2797:
-Not a Zumo so not built for moto, not waterproof, cannot connect to helmet to connect to mobile phone
-Cradle or sunscreen - not both.
-Dismal battery life
-Less control over what is stored on MicroSD card (import automatically)
-Requires a technical modification (open it and do some soldering) to get an audio-out port.
+GIANT screen
+Fast route calculation
+Great ride data availability
+"What is coming up" feature - hotel, food, fuel on your route
+Garmin SmartConnect to mobile phone for traffic more - works in Canada and Mexico as well as the USA
+Palmdr.com services it and replaced the digitiser on my for $75
+3 days of rain in IBR15 and it survived

Zumo 590:
-The battery has failed twice in a few years.
-No really good sunshade
-Costs more than my first moto
-no ebook reader
+Nice cradle
+Fast route calculation
+Great ride data availability
+"What is coming up" feature - hotel, food, fuel on your route
+Garmin SmartConnect to mobile phone for traffic more - works in Canada and Mexico as well as the USA
+Can be power externally by a battery so can be left on 24/7 on long rides
+Pandora
+TPMS integration (I use this feature)
+MP3 player
+Supported by Garmin and 595 has a curvy road feature

Clive Rand

Premier Member
I have managed to keep my Navman out of the weather, with a think called an aqua box, it has served me well since the troublesome Tom tom gave up the ghost, picks up the power from a USB supply on the bike and turns on as soon as it detects power then shuts down when the bike is switched off, has bluetooth as well so I can hear it through the intercom unit, but like so many other GPS units, it takes me on a tour of the country sometimes, all of them seem to want me to go to a place called Kyogle. GPS mount.jpg