Has Donald Trump taken my BASE CAMP USA ?

JON12A

IBAUK's retired Shop Keeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Just going to have a play with the IBA Rally in the USA on Garmin base camp and found that my version of base camp has no USA !. Is this US isolationism gone mad ? Do i need to join the tea party ?
Does everyone have this same set up or do i need to buy USA maps to get the coverage ?

Cheers In Advance

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
I just checked mine and I can only get as far as Halifax in Nova Scotia, then the rest of North America is one big blank.

JON12A

Premier Member
IBA Member
You need USA maps. I have a spare set on a SD Card if you want.
Thanks Dave i think i have a set somewhere.

Just seems strange as its a free download i assume the Americans can download their own region free.
Thanks all for the input at least i know its not just me.[/QUOTE]

JON12A

Premier Member
IBA Member
Do you have a copy of the data file they gave the entrants Jon are you putting it together yourself?
Alas no I don't but i was looking at doing the leg work on perhaps leg one and seeing how it went.
The bonus locations are at present available on the Rally reports area on the forum along with the coordinates.

Shame. All the co-ordinates are in the rally book, but it would have been nice to see the exact data supplied, and saved a bit of finger work ;-)

I think I do need to register to see that post Dave.

I'll put a list together and will share it if anyone wants to wait for me to do that rather than all be doing the same thing. (I make no apologies for errors o_O)

Last edited:

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Just seems strange as its a free download i assume the Americans can download their own region free.
BaseCamp itself is free, the maps are not. You have "free" access to European maps because they belong to your Garmin device; the Americans have access to US maps because they're licensed to their device.

Last edited:

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You can download base camp for free but it only shows maps you have bought.
I believe the maps are tied to a particular gps so they can't be transferred. For my two satnavs I have to buy two updates.
It pays to put maps on a memory card so they can be swooped to USA and UK rather than clogging up memory with both.

michiel kerkhof

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Agree with Phil....in future I'll buy the maps if needed on an SD card and put straight into the zumo.....updating your maps normally gives you the nice problem that not all of europe or the usa fits on the memory of the zumo so you have to skip areas out....which obviously according Murphy's you will need in your winning route version later that day!!

When your Zumo has the map installed and is connected to the computer, use Garmin Express to download the map to the computer so then you can use the map in Basecamp without having the Zumo connected.