Having a good time crossing US , for Europeans

rolf-arne

Premier Member
A friend of mi e and I start now planing a coast to coast holliday 4-6 weeks, renting bikes , combined tents and motels stats summer of 2023.

So heres the questions what should we see, what roads to ride.

When are the big events, thinking of bikes and cars fair and such.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I wrote this as a general reply to your initial query...yes, I've used it to help others in the past.

https://kwthom.blogspot.com/p/tour-of-lifetime-planning.html

It's truly difficult to say when things are going to start happening with the regularity they once had, due to the pandemic.

That being said, plenty of 'roads to ride', it depends on what ya like.

I *will* warn you that much of out little chunk of Earth is a bit lower in latitude; that means it can get hot (30C and higher) during the high season (summer months) in many locations that also tend to have some of the fun roads to ride.

Bikes? Summer? August - Sturgis, SD.

Cars? Someone else will step in here...

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Easy question. Much more difficult answer. :) There are a lot more great roads here than one can ride in 4-6 weeks. A lot more. :) That amount of time would be a nice scouting trip to determine where you would like to see in more depth on another trip. But here are a couple of suggestions for a Grand Sampler of the US[tm].

You might want to consider doing a 48-10, but turn it into a 48-42, visiting all 48 continguous states in 6 weeks, a nice, leisurely pace.

A second idea would be to do two 50cc's, but make them two 210cc's (coast to coast in 210 hours). The first one could be coast to coast meandering along a northerly route, the return along a southern route.

In either case, you would see a lot of this country.

You should also consider the things you always wanted to see. The Grand Canyon? The redwood forests? A hundred miles of nothing in the middle of nowhere? I had a Kiwi friend who, when planning his trip to the US wanted to do two specific things: get drunk with a Native American and hop a freight train. Go figure (fortunately, you can do both in Gallup, NM).

The biggest motorcycle event would be Sturgis, this year on August 06-15. Laconia Bike Week is June 12-20.

I'm sure lots of folks here will chime in with their favorite roads and suggestions on what to see. One fun resource is Roadside America, at

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/

But whatever you end up doing, I know you will have one of the best, weirdest, craziest, most fun times in your life. :)

We want to hear all about it when it's over and you get back home.

Cheers!

Ira

rolf-arne

Premier Member
Easy question. Much more difficult answer. :) There are a lot more great roads here than one can ride in 4-6 weeks. A lot more. :) That amount of time would be a nice scouting trip to determine where you would like to see in more depth on another trip. But here are a couple of suggestions for a Grand Sampler of the

But whatever you end up doing, I know you will have one of the best, weirdest, craziest, most fun times in your life. :)

We want to hear all about it when it's over and you get back home.

Cheers!

Ira
Thanks, If it only was me, (which it may be) I would absolutly consider all possible routes wich gave me a new IBR -strech...but my friend are as for now, new and will see how long our days will be this year.

So our plan so far has to be plan as a hollyday, exploratin of the USA..I have been driving by car from Boston to Canadian border in Maine, but the rest is blank..

But it seems like a good start to ride the upper states from Boston to Seatle , down to LA, and d southstates back to Florida , or The Keys, then up to Boston , with some days in New York...

I think this will be a once in our lifetime experience...

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Sounds like the Four Corners Tour - Madewaska, Maine, Blaine, Washington, San Ysidro, California, and Key West. The SCMA gives you three weeks to complete it, but I'm not suggesting you go for any certs - just a good way to see the USA.

Cheers!

CB650F

Premier Member
You'll want to spend a day or three around Rapid City, SD. The Black Hills are wonderful for motorcycle riding. Consider going there during the Sturgis Rally if that's your thing. Just be prepared for seriously high prices for everything. Hotel rooms, food, even campgrounds get expensive during the rally. If you're an introvert like me and a million motorcycles packed in as tightly as possible with cops around every corner sounds like a nightmare, go just before the rally. June is a good month to be there. Not too hot. Not too cold. Not too crowded. Check out this route for a great ride. Keystone is a cute little town. 16A is good and twisty with great sight seeing opportunities. It's hard to beat The Needles Highway too. And of course, Mt. Rushmore is right around the corner for some iconic Americana. (In fact, I'm the Black Hills area right now. I can get some pictures of the area when the rain stops if you want.)

If you're going from Rapid City to Seatle, you should make a detour down the Beartooth Highway. It's south of Red Lodge Montana, which is south of Billings. It's another road that's worth a ride. Great views as far as the eye can see. The Beartooth Highway will take you from Red Lodge all the way into Yellowstone National Park, another place you should spend a couple of days. A little bit of Google searching will show you how amazing Yellowstone is. You could easily pick a million worse places to spend a few days.

Then when you head down from Seatle to Southern California, take Highways 101 and 1. It's not as fast as I-5, but they run along the Pacific coast. The Oregon and California coasts are wonderful for sight seeing. Oh, and 101 will take you over the Golden Gate Bridge. I-5 won't even get you close enough to see it. While you're in SF, consider a tour of Alcatraz Island. I've never done it, but I'd love to.

I grew up on the Gulf coast, so it all feels stale to me. Nothing really worth seeing there for me, so take other people's suggestions over mine for that area. Instead, I'd head over to Utah. Rent a Jeep in Moab and explore some of the off road trails in Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. Then head south a little over to Zion National Park. You can hike up the river that carved the Zion Canyon. It's a unique experience for sure! From there, head down to Carlsbad New Mexico. Carlsbad Caverns (another National Park) is another of my favorite places to visit. It's very comfortable in the cave at about 13 C all year long. Try to get a tour of the Lower Cave for some less traveled caving fun. Or if you are really adventurous, try the Hall of the White Giant. You crawl through tight passages, up some slick rock, and will get dirty doing it. Just don't do it if you're a bigger man than me. I was about 5'9" and 225 lbs. when I did it, and it got a little tight for comfort.

From there, you hit the Gulf Coast. Just get on the bikes and make good time down to the Florida Keys. Consider taking the ferry over to Dry Tortugas National Park. It's an old military fort that never really got finished, but it's surrounded by amazing turquoise water and coral beaches. You can even tent camp there overnight. What's more epic than camping on a coral beach of a tropical island in an area with no light pollution? If you're a tent camper, that's gotta be paradise. Make sure to reserve early though. Tent space is limited. Then when you get back to Key West, take some pics of your bikes by the Southernmost Point Marker. It's a great photo op!

Then head north to Deal's Gap where North Carolina and Tennessee meet, and ride the infamous Tail of the Dragon! Get your picture by the big dragon statue and tree of shame. From there, head up the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive. That will get you all the way from Cherokee North Carolina to Front Royal Virginia. Some of the best views you can imagine can be found on those two roads. Nice riding roads too.

After that, maybe head over to Virginia Beach for some nice R&R. Or up to Philadelphia for a real Philly Cheesesteak. Or maybe you're looking for the night life so a little farther to New York City. Just keep in mind that the contiguous US is freakishly big. You're looking at 10,000 km at least for a trip around the US.