Heart of Texas Rally, very short report.

igneouss

Premier Member
To and From: 2722 miles
Rally Miles: 24xx
Total 5150 +/- a few

For context, this was my first non-Mason Dixon 20/20 rally and my first rally longer than 36 hrs.

Rally was 4 days
Travel time was also 4 days

Finished 24* out of 43* finishers.
*have not yet seen official, published results.

For me this is a really good result. Also note that there were a lot of far more experienced rallyists, former IBR finishers etc in the rally.

Rally was super well organized and planned. Paul Tong and crew set a VERY high bar for future rallies. My understanding is that that Paul Tong and crew will be executing the Iron Butt X (2022) rally. Looking forward to that. Can't say enough in praise of this organization. Class act! Well done!

My new 2013* GSA ran flawlessly. Some mud that felled several other riders did not dump me (I think I heard that 6 riders tipped over on that 1/4 mile stretch of deceptive looking mud - it was no certain thing for me either but I made it). 12"+ standing water during torrential rain in Odessa did not phase the bike either.

* this is effectively new old stock. Had about 1500 miles on it when I bought it this year. Now has about 7700.

Unexpected moment: Riding into very strong wind near Amarillo. "air speed" must have been 120-ish MPH. Less than 100 miles on that tank of fuel. Almost left me stranded. Luckily hit a random rural gas station...

Had a blast. Really hoping I can make it into the IBX.