Heated Kit Bit Of Help..

I´ve never had an electrical heated vest, so I can´t comment on that. At winter I ride in clothes from http://art-for-function.com/shop/, a German company. It´s made by wintermotorcyclists for wintermotorcyclists.
But according the hands, on my winterbike (Honda Africa Twin 1991), I´ve got both heated grips and Bagster Box`R muffs, which are muffs with electrical resistance threads build in, so I´ve got the heat inside my hands from the grips, but also on the outside from the muffs. Unfortunately it seems that they don´t make these heated muffs anymore and that´s a shame, I´m really happy with mine.

Here you can se them, together with the "foreskin" :) (and a bit of the homemade heated visor on the helmet):

But with or without heating, the muffs are wind and waterproof so your gloves will always be dry :)

Last edited:

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
Had a look at my remote heat controller today - it's made by Powerlet.

Works flawlessly with Gerbings jacket and powerlet socks, and probably other makes too.

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
I just came across this. It looks like a potential solution for cooler days - when you need some warmth, but not full-on cooking. I like the fact it uses standard USB power banks, so it can be used away from the bike, and multiple power banks would allow you to use it pretty much indefinitely. Presumably some sort of extension lead could be used to power it from a USB socket on the bike. On the negative side, the controls are unreachable under bike gear, it only heats your back - and it's £*$&ing expensive.
https://www.polarseal.me/

Regards,
Martin

Jonnyp

IBA Member
A Keis J501 arrived yesterday......now I need a cold snap to test it out.

Thanks for all the advice chaps, much appreciated..

Rick UK

Brit Butt Light Rally Master
Premier Member
IBA Member
Cold snap is here! What’s the verdict?
Still using my 15 year old Widder vest.....although I did have to replace the thermostatic controller last year

Jonnyp

IBA Member
Cold snap is here! What’s the verdict?
Still using my 15 year old Widder vest.....although I did have to replace the thermostatic controller last year
Well, I can recommend the Keis J501, kept me warm on the way down to Calais yesterday and should do the job on the way back tomorrow.

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
What is the reason to have wireless heat control? You still have to plug the item in so what is the benefit of the controller being wireless?

I currently use Gerbing with W&S Heat-Trollers that I have in my pocket so changing the temperature on the fly is a tad awkward but doable.

owl*

Rally Bonus checker
IBA Member
I found that the Gerbing wired in heat controller just gave me too many wires, and was inconvenient to find and adjust on the move. Also, if I zipped my jacket to my trousers, there was no way out for the wire.

The wireless set up gives me a dual heat controller on the handlebars and only one wire to worry about - from the clothing into the bike socket.

Tep_52

Premier Member
I personally have the hot wired gear from cycle gear. It was reasonablypriced and has kept me warm when worn under my roadcrafter in temps down to 25f

used the elephant ears -- sorry muffs once never again. they either suit you or they don't. I just carry a second pair of gloves now and swap when my hands start to go cold the trick as always is where you keep you spare gloves
if its really cold then glove liners as well never change these just the outer gloves merino wool are the only effective ones I've found thin enough to be useable.

HACKLE

I have been using the Warm and Safe complete kit [sox, pants, jacket and gloves] for a couple of winters now. I have the wireless controls mounted on top of the left switch block on my 2016 Triumph Trophy. The red/ right side dial serves the jacket and gloves whilst the yellow/left does the pants and sox. I usually have the right set to about 2.30 on the "clock" dial while the left is about 3.00 on the dial. I only wear my LD Comfort nicks, heated pants then my Alpine Star Dakar pants with liner fitted. On top, it's just a T-shirt, heated jacket then the Alpine Star Dakar jacket with liner. Even in the coldest [-3 C ] I have never had to go past about 6.00 on the control dial. I do wear a pair of very thin cotton sox over the heated ones mainly to prevent wear on the inside of my Alpine Star boots. I also have lambswool inner soles fitted in the boots. The overall benefit is less bulk for more comfortable riding. I replace the batteries in the controller prior to each winter. The heated gear is easily hand washed for keeping it all clean. I couldn't be happier with it all, for a total outlay here in Australia of just on $900.00 I feel it's great value.