Heaven to Hell Receipts

"Spotwalla.com OR other independent satellite tracking system that will work in remote locations (as of February 2017, cell phone based trackers will not work on top of Pike's Peak, Mt Evans and Bad Water) IS REQUIRED FOR THIS RIDE"

http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/heaventohell/index.html
Steven, I think there is some contradiction between the written rules you mentioned and the current possibilities of Bubbler Pro. Because Bubbler WILL upload your offline stored trackpoints when back online. I think this issue should be cleared, as it may be super critical for some ride(r)s - like the one on this thread.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I get why the IBA is somewhat specific, but I can claim that Bubbler GPS PRO will provide tracking in a vast area that does not have cell service:

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1c84f5c5627c0c6d99&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

Much of Death Valley National Park has no cell service. As you can see by this weekend-long track, I went in and out of areas that did have cell service and it's fairly apparent that tracking is available. I have done a similar ride now for years and Bubbler Pro has done what it's claimed to do...continue to collect tracking data while out of cell service.

So, in reading the ride rules, it's a bit tricky to get (a) a receipt as close to the start as possible and (b) a receipt as close to the end as possible. Yet, the ride duration is what is being corroborated by the required track file data collection requirement, as far as I can tell.

+ Get receipt at toll booth.
+ Ride to top of mountain...time starts.
+ (...ride, receipt, repeat...)
+ Ride to Furnace Creek or Beatty - get final receipt.
+ Ride to Badwater for final time stamp of remote data...time ends. Until you get back to 'civilization' (Amargosa Valley, Beatty, Pahrump...Furnace Creek? Stovepipe Wells?), you just don't *exactly* know you have the data at the end of the ride or not.

All five of those bulleted items should be able to take place in a 24 hour window, I would think.

Rollin'

Premier Member
You can get a receipt in Badwater and the top of Pikes Peak so the only issue is Mount Evans.
Will Bubbler show the place and the time, date you were there?

My start at the top of Mount Evans.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Don't lose sight of the forest due to the heavy tree cover. :)

What we want is a satellite track log. In 2017, phone-based tracking wouldn't reliably provide that. If it does now, fine. Just remember that it is up to you to make sure whatever you use works.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Don't lose sight of the forest due to the heavy tree cover. :)

What we want is a satellite track log. In 2017, phone-based tracking wouldn't reliably provide that. If it does now, fine. Just remember that it is up to you to make sure whatever you use works.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Which begs the question: Is Bubbler considered by the IBA to be (1) "Satellite Based" because it uses GPS satellites for position data (vice cell trianguation) or (2) "Phone Based" because it is ran on a phone (vice being a dedicated Satellite Tracker like a SPOT)?

o_O

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Do overthink this. The rules state:. .

"Spotwalla.com OR other independent satellite tracking system that will work in remote locations. . ." If your phone app is using a GPS, it will be fine. If you device/software interfaces with Spotwalla, it will be fine.

Also note that ride verification relies upon the totality of your documentation. It is up to you to demonstrate you rode the ride you claim via photos, receipts, track logs, ride log, etc. If all of it is in agreement, there should be no problem.

Ira

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
This discussion perfectly reflects this recent change, mentioned in a different Premier notice topic sent out yesterday:

http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/swreq.html

I would presume any wording within the context of the H2H ride would now be superseded by the protocol as outlined in the above referenced document. (e.g. doing it as directed by the Spotwalla Protocol would be preferred)

EDIT: Updated link per Dave M's comment (below)

Last edited:

dmcqueeney

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
This discussion perfectly reflects this recent change, mentioned in a different Premier notice topic sent out yesterday:

http://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/spotwallaprotocols.html

I would presume any wording within the context of the H2H ride would now be superseded by the protocol as outlined in the above referenced document. (e.g. doing it as directed by the Spotwalla Protocol would be preferred)
Ken ...
The SpotWalla Protocols page link is currently a moving target (recently developed for the new E2E ride series).
Your referenced link isn't available just now.
Use this instead.
... Dave