Help me Farkle my GSA

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Yes. It seemed to be the most prudent approach for me.
I did orient my disconnects so that the tank could be eliminated from the circuit easily, and the vent still function properly.
Good to hear, still troubleshooting mine. I may have it fixed but need to take it for a ride to confirm

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Yes. It seemed to be the most prudent approach for me.
I did orient my disconnects so that the tank could be eliminated from the circuit easily, and the vent still function properly.
Be careful with some quick disconnects as some do not flow as well as the fuel line and can cause a restriction and strain on the fuel pump. Also, a QD when disconnected may not allow venting as some, not all, but some turn off flow on both sides of the QD when disconnected. I use a ball cock type valve that allows full flow but can be turned off and disconnected at the tank if needed leaving the vent side of the tank open to atmosphere when the line is removed from the valve.

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Checked flow early on. I arranged my disconnects so that I could completely remove the tank from the circuit and the main tank could vent out the back.

I also included a ball valve on the tank because I have trust issues.

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Made several 'tweaks' to the farkles this weekend, and I feel I'm ready to rally. It's a good thing too, as the 3rd annual Inaugural Missouri Rally is next week.

I moved my SPOT from the handlebars down to the wind deflectors.

This opened up space for my radar detector on the handlebars via RAM mount. It's not a perfect placement, but it should be functional. I also added a small bracket next to my upper GPS for the visual alert LED.

I added some velcro to some strategic spots in the cases for stuff that I use frequently but always seemed to end up on the bottom. I need to add more organizational implements here, but it should help a little for now.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Made several 'tweaks' to the farkles this weekend, and I feel I'm ready to rally. It's a good thing too, as the 3rd annual Inaugural Missouri Rally is next week.

I moved my SPOT from the handlebars down to the wind deflectors.

This opened up space for my radar detector on the handlebars via RAM mount. It's not a perfect placement, but it should be functional. I also added a small bracket next to my upper GPS for the visual alert LED.

I added some velcro to some strategic spots in the cases for stuff that I use frequently but always seemed to end up on the bottom. I need to add more organizational implements here, but it should help a little for now.
How about a new photo of what you have done?

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I just noticed the pouches I also added. They are old windshield pouches that I removed from their previous bracket and mounted using the deflector screws on the GSA.
May have asked this before, where did you get those side wind deflectors?

craydds

Premier Member
I had a good run today. I replaced all the plumbing from the tank to the disconnect yesterday. Today, I was able to run enough gas through it to confirm no leaks. I just need to run a full fuel load through it now to see how that goes.

RDL was nice. Heat works, but didn't really need it today.
View attachment 8344
BigLew55, that is precisely the Yeti jug and carrier I've been looking at. How did you install the drinking tube? (did I miss an earlier post?) Looks like you just drilled a hole through the lid. Nice set-up!

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
View attachment 8344
BigLew55, that is precisely the Yeti jug and carrier I've been looking at. How did you install the drinking tube? (did I miss an earlier post?) Looks like you just drilled a hole through the lid. Nice set-up!
BigLew,
Did you drill a hole and silicone the tube into the lid? Or is it just a tight fit? Any guidance appreciated.
Sorry for the delayed response. I was running the Missouri Rally this weekend. What a great time!

For the tube, I just drilled the top to a size that would let the tube pass through. I used a 90 degree elbow as I didn't want it to stick straight up for my application. I didn't seal it. You need venting anyway, or you can't drink very fast, and can get light headed trying to quench your thirst. :D I just used a step bit, and stopped when it passed through. To keep it in the jug, I used zip ties. They also double as hose clamps.

I'll try to get some pics when I clean it out over the next day or two.

I ran this set-up on the HD for IBR21 and just adapted it to the GSA.

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Tire Question:

I may not be able to get a new TrailMax Mission rear before LDX. As an opportunity to test something different, what would I try for a Street oriented tire for long distance on the GSA? I'm hoping for something to get north of 12K miles, and understand that YMMV.

I checked Revzilla and see Michelin has Road 6 in stock. Any feedback on these or others that you have had success with?

igneouss

Premier Member
Lew,
Thanks! Glad you had a great time in Mo!
Sounds simple and practical which always works for me .

Cheers!

Sorry for the delayed response. I was running the Missouri Rally this weekend. What a great time!

For the tube, I just drilled the top to a size that would let the tube pass through. I used a 90 degree elbow as I didn't want it to stick straight up for my application. I didn't seal it. You need venting anyway, or you can't drink very fast, and can get light headed trying to quench your thirst. :D I just used a step bit, and stopped when it passed through. To keep it in the jug, I used zip ties. They also double as hose clamps.

I'll try to get some pics when I clean it out over the next day or two.

I ran this set-up on the HD for IBR21 and just adapted it to the GSA.

igneouss

Premier Member
I use the Road 6 on my GSA (2013). I can't say enough good about the tire. Rear on my bike is set to last 15k. Front at least that long. Excellent wet and dry characteristics. Availability. As far as I am concerned, if you are staying 90% on road, it's the only choice for me. (As they say, YMMV).

Tire Question:

I may not be able to get a new TrailMax Mission rear before LDX. As an opportunity to test something different, what would I try for a Street oriented tire for long distance on the GSA? I'm hoping for something to get north of 12K miles, and understand that YMMV.

I checked Revzilla and see Michelin has Road 6 in stock. Any feedback on these or others that you have had success with?