Houston Help for 50CC

BMWguy

IBA Member
Looking for any and all suggestions on navigating I-10 though Houston traveling East to West.
I've studied the Katy Freeway, no cash tolls, etc and find it all somewhat puzzling. A friend just came through there heading to AR and had a nightmare of a time. Got a $250 ticket for being in a toll lane and they won't take cash! (I gladly accept cash!!)
Really don't want to do the 610 bypass thing and would prefer everyone but me stay home that day!! LOL!

Help from all you 50CC riders!!

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I was going to try and do a 50cc this summer, but I think I'll pass, I'll just do a cert ride and go east towards Maine and flower sniff that area, I10 doesn't sound fun to me.

BMWguy

IBA Member
Houston and I-10 is the only real concern I have - can't say as I blame you.
I've done some other "biggies" like Atlanta, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, Chicago - but Houston just seems to wear on me 'cause I really don't know what to expect.
I may vary the route just to avoid it or make sure I hit it at around 2 - 3AM. I've been stuck on an Interstate before in the heat because of a traffic accident.
My oil head beemer does not like that at all!

Garry in AZ

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have ridden through Houston a dozen or so times, and never had any issues at all. The freeways are clearly marked, and if you are not there during heavy traffic, you can ride straight through without even slowing down. Toll roads are very clearly marked, and avoidable if that's your preference. The 610 loop is a good alternative if you simply want to avoid downtown. It adds very little time to the ride, and seems to always be moving right along. However, I have always timed my rides through there to be between 10PM and 2AM so I have never experienced the nightmare traffic that many complain of.
My advice, time things to miss heavy traffic, and just follow the signs. It's really pretty easy compared to D.C., NYC, Chicago or even LA.

If you are going in the next few days, make sure I-10 is open, I heard it was closed for a couple of days last week just east of Beaumont due to flooding. Folks were being detoured through Shreveport.

Garry

BMWguy

IBA Member
Hey Garry!

Thanks my man! Advice is noted and very much appreciated. I'd heard nothing but tales of nightmares previously about how bad the traffic was so thought I'd get some good advice.
I'm planning on hitting Houston around 2 - 4 AM on a Saturday morning so didn't expect traffic to be too bad. But... ya' never know!
And thanks for the notice about the flooding.
Won't be going until Sept or Oct.

Thanks again!
Mike

Joseph Kappes

Kankujoe
Premier Member
From what I remember I rode through Houston on a Sunday evening & I had no traffic issues at all. I had more traffic in Slidell, LA & El Paso, TX.

tdragger

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Your friend may have been illegally fined if he rode on the Katy Freeway HOT lanes. Being a High Occupancy Vehicle roadway, motorcycles are exempt from tolls. This is clearly spelled out in the federal highway standards. I suggest that your friend contact AMA and ask their advice on this subject.

The Harris County Toll Road Authority includes this section on their FAQ page, however, since they only have specific hours for HOV use then that might be their way out. Still, I would contact AMA.

Will motorcycles be allowed to use the Katy Managed Lanes?

Yes. Motorcycles qualify as HOV 2+ on the Katy Managed Lanes and may use the facility free of charge during HOV hours. Note: Motorcycles must pay a toll on all other Harris County Toll Road Authority facilities, as well as on the managed lanes during non-HOV hours.

Paul Knight

Premier Member
I have traversed Houston 8 times or more and used the HOV lanes and never got a fine.

Maybe I was moving too fast for the cameras to catch me? NOT!

I did find this PDF on their website
https://www.hctra.org/katymanagedlanes/media/road_rate_chart.pdf?CSRT=8225502568739382537

along with this

MOTORCYCLES

Quick toll guide:

• Free during HOV hours: Monday through Friday, 5 am – 11 am and 2 pm – 8 pm, eastbound and westbound.
•Be sure to pass through the tolling plaza in the HOV lane on the left.
•No registration is currently required.
•Subject to tolls at all other times, and on all other Harris County toll roads.
•EZ TAG or TxTag required to ride the managed lanes during non-HOV hours
•Tolls during non-HOV hours, including weekends: $0.30 - $0.40 per tolling plaza.

BMWguy

IBA Member
tdragger - Paul Knight,
Yeah - he was in a pickup truck by himself and not on a motorcycle.
That's why he got popped. His thought was it was just another lane on an Interstate - had no idea what HOV meant!!

Paul, those are sure some involved rules to know for folks not from Houston. They definitely are not visitor friendly. Glad you shared them with us. Glad I have a NTTA tag which is accepted in Houston.

Bellen

Premier Member
I ordered a TxTag a few weeks ago, filled out the form online and specified it was for a motorcycle, and they sent me the car sticker. I called them about it and they are sending me the correct tag.