How do you find the GPS odometer on Apple Maps for the ride log? Is it necessary for the award?

Not one bit; in fact, it makes things easy.

@EricV post immediately preceding this one explains it better than I tried to in his first paragraph. @rneal55555 has also provided some pertinent pieces of info as well (as in the don't overthink it part...), and that is VERY easy to do - I'm personally a big offender of this myself.

I've never used Apple Maps, so I can't vouch for validity, but when I check miles on a thousand mile ride with Google Maps, it's usually pretty darn close - especially if you're gonna go along a single road (Interstate highway) to accomplish it.

'Margin for error' is what we're all trying to help with. The old paper map days this was much more common for this to happen...plan a ~1000 mile ride, ride a ~1000 mile ride, your odometer claims you've done a thousand mile ride, and one ends up being a few miles short. Nobody wants that to happen, and all we're doing is providing our (collective) insight on how to avoid that.

My personal 'tightest' ride distance was 1517 certified miles for a 1500+ mile ride. Now, this is a VERY common route (Jax Beach FL to Van Horn, TX) and many others have certified that distance before me.

So, though it can be done, doing something that tight on a first ride is discouraged.
Thanks for the clarification. I looked up your route and it looks great. The only reason I wouldn't do that one is I would like to stay in New Orleans for a day or two. Thank you.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
As an aside joke, most people that have done a bunch of cert rides will have one or two that you might notice on paper as being... odd. I don't have any SS rides that were 'tight'. I do have three that were over 1100 miles. Mostly because that was the distance between where I bought a bike and home, but one is 1260 and that was supposed to be a BBG, but weather and gear didn't cooperate, so I called it earlier than my planned turnaround point and rode back to my starting point, (it was an event), with a 'big' SS1K instead of a BBG. I just didn't feel like another 300 miles of rain at interstate speed. Neither did my riding partner that day.

CB650F

Premier Member
I just had another question- when you say your rides were at 1038 and 1045 was that what the distance was directly from beginning to end or did that include pulling off the freeway for food and gas? The reason I'm asking is that the 1014 miles would be without any stops. So maybe to be safe I need to continue to the next town. But if I can count the mileage pulling off for food and gas that might put me up to 1020 or 1030. Anyway, I guess I will just have to see how it goes at the time and err on the side of caution. But I was just curious if the mileage you mentioned included the miles you traveled for food and gas. Sorry to be asking so many questions. I will be doing this ride on my own and hope not to screw it up.
Your mileage accumulated while pulling off the main road for food and fuel probably isn't as high as you think. That's always slow roads, so I try to spend as little time as possible there. A food/fuel stop is normally only an extra half mile or less for me. It's not significant enough to worry about.
I base my rides off of "starting point to ending point". I don't include the extra quarter to half mile for food and fuel stops. I consider that mileage as part of the "cost of doing business". If that 5 miles actually makes a difference, I'm cutting it too close. Maybe I wasn't paying attention and GoogleMaps took me on the I-610 loop around Houston, but I don't have proof so the verification team assumes I went on I-10 straight through. That alone would cost me right at 20 miles. Not all shorter routes are that extreme, but it's easy to see how you can lose a few miles during the verification process. I suppose you could plan a route that is only 998 miles start to end points and try to get fuel stations that are a few miles off the main route, but I certainly wouldn't suggest it.
If the verification team puts my start and end points into GoogleMaps (or MapQuest or whatever they use) and it shows three possible routes, all 1025 to 1050 miles, what incentive do they have to dig around for possible shorter routes that can save 5 miles? It's a complete waste of their time at that point. On the other hand, if all three routes are 995, 1002, and 999 miles respectively, they are going to look pretty close and make damn sure I actually rode the 1,000 miles I'm claiming. The easier I make it for them, the less likely they are to find a technicality that can be used to make the official mileage less than 1,000. Besides, I just made it 1,000 miles. Another 25 miles to ride across town to a different hotel, or fuel station won't make a difference to me at all.

The hardest part about making an IBA ride is staying on the bike. Actually making 1000 or 1050 miles in 24 hours is extremely easy. The urge to get off the bike is what will kill you. It's a marathon, not sprint. On my two rides, I stopped at IHOP and Cracker Barrel for extended food stops and still had way more than enough time to finish in 24 hours. If I recall correctly, my overall times were 18 to 19 hours including a sit down meal (or two) in each just to get off the bike. If you're just doing 10 minute fuel stops and finger food you can eat while on the road, you can make an SS1000 in probably 16 hours if you never break the speed limit. If you're doing 5 over and leave at sunrise, I bet you could finish before sunset in the summer.