How I fell off my bike and what happened next

AyrtonO

Premier Member
Tramadol is great pill, always carry some with bike meds for bad situations. Helped me to get local hospital after breaking clavicle in Russia.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Lengthy chat with the physio today. He proclaims me to be doing better than expected, amazed at my lack of pain but right shoulder still not as strong as left. Can I ride a motorbike? Well first the caveats:-

1) He would like to ride a motorbike but can't because his wife has banned it cos it's dangerous. I had offered him the makings of a counter-argument but the fact that I was in his office apparently carried more weight with her than my finely carved rationale.
2) That means that he only has a layman's grasp of what riding a motorcycle actually entails: in particular he thinks it needs a lot of strength. I explained about technique, balance and gyroscopes but - I was in his office ...
3) He's a healthcare professional and motorbike riding is dangerous.

I have agreed with him that I'll sit on my bike while it's still on its centrestand and do some steering; if no ill-effects several hours later I'll take the bike off the centrestand; if no ill-effects several hours later I'll ride it to the dealer and get it serviced. If no ill-effects having retrieved it from the dealer ...

I also have a new set of exercises and a further appointment on 24th.

One way or another I'll be there on 26th.

Last edited:

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Lengthy chat with the physio today. He proclaims me to be doing better than expected, amazed at my lack of pain but right shoulder still not as strong as left. Can I ride a motorbike? Well first the caveats:-

1) He would like to ride a motorbike but can't because his wife has banned it cos it's dangerous. I had offered him the makings of a counter-argument but the fact that I was in his office apparently carried more weight with her than my finely carved rationale.
2) That means that he only has a layman's grasp of what riding a motorcycle actually entails: in particular he thinks it needs a lot of strength. I explained about technique, balance and gyroscopes but - I was in his office ...
3) He's a healthcare professional and motorbike riding is dangerous.

I have agreed with him that I'll sit on my bike while it's still on its centrestand and do some steering; if no ill-effects several hours later I'll take the bike off the centrestand; if no ill-effects several hours later I'll ride it to the dealer and get it serviced. If no ill-effects having retrieved it from the dealer ...

I also have a new set of exercises and a further appointment on 24th.

One way or another I'll be there on 26th.

Have you explained you're borrowing a 250 on the 23rd whilst yours is in for service as you have un-finished business?

See you on the 26th

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
[hopefully] final update

Yesterday the physio signed me off as fit and not needing further clinical assistance, although it can take anything up to a year to rebuild full strength.
Today I tied my own bootlaces then rode 80 miles, without falling off AND I repaired a puncture in my rear tyre. Those of you having experience of gummy string repairs will be able to attest to the strength required to do that!
See you all, well many of you, tomorrow:)

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Today I tied my own bootlaces then rode 80 miles, without falling off AND I repaired a puncture in my rear tyre. Those of you having experience of gummy string repairs will be able to attest to the strength required to do that!
See you all, well many of you, tomorrow:)
Very cool!

Here's a tip for using gummy worms. Carry a couple dabs of rubber cement in a contat lens case. The cement lubricates the worm making insertion (relatively) extremely easy. Once inserted, the rubber helps to strengthen the vulcanizing process. It also helps to fill in the tiny gaps that might form in a rough puncture. It doesn't take much. Just enough to wet the puncture as the worm slides through.