How many devices can be paired to a Garmin 396 LMT-S

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I'm currently using a Garmin 396 LMT-S, paired to my Sena 10S helmet intercom and also to my smartphone w/ Garmin Smartphone Link app. I have the GPS set up to bridge between the phone and helmet.

What I'm curious about is adding a Sirius/XM receiver w/ a Sena Bluetooth adapter. I don't know if another device can be paired to the 396 LMT-S, and I've not been able to find any information online about the max. number of devices that can be paired to the Garmin and operated simultaneously.

I want the audio going into the helmet, not my GL1800's built-in intercom or stereo. If it can't be done, that's fine. I just don't want to spend the money on a hunch, only to find that it doesn't work.

Can anyone shed some light on how many devices I can add to the 396 LMT-S and have control over?

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Why not just go direct from the XM to your headset?

I think you may run into a conflict if your phone is connected to send media, you'll need to turn the media off in the BT setting at least.

Otherwise you'll have no issue connecting your phone as data for Smartphone Link and the XM via the Sena BT adapter as media.

Shawn K

Premier Member
Can I have two simultaneously paired devices with the Sena 10S (XM and the GPS)? I really don't know. I was under the impression that I couldn't. My understanding is that since the 10S only has a single receiver, there's no true multitasking.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Can I have two simultaneously paired devices with the Sena 10S (XM and the GPS)? I really don't know. I was under the impression that I couldn't. My understanding is that since the 10S only has a single receiver, there's no true multitasking.
Hmm not sure about the 10s need to check the manual but I know my old 20s and new 50s can. I have my GPS and phone for music connected to my sena and my phone for data connected to my GPS.

Shawn K

Premier Member
I'm pretty sure (but not 100% positive) that the 10S can't do true multitasking, but the 20S and up can.

It's not the end of the world if I can't make it work. Lord knows I've ridden many tens of thousands of miles without it.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I know my 595 had an audio in jack and on another bike I ran a hard wire from my xm radio to that audio in and then the BT connection from my 595 to my Sena allowing the 595 to manage the audio.

The 396 is a slightly lower version of the 595, but does it have that jack on the wiring harness? If so that's another option.