How to get around Los Angeles?

Matt Hube

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm planning a 4 Corners Tour hopefully for next year. What's the best route to stay out of the majority of the Southern California traffic to get into and out of San Ysidro? Appreciate the advice.

Matt

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
There isn't one :D

It might matter which stop this is [middle | end] might be able to time-shift (e.g. RON about 100 miles away, get moving about 4am to get there about sunup) to help. Sunday morning would be the best day, probably.

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Traffic here in SoCal is just a fact of life. The good news - actually; about the smartest legislation that ever came out of Sacramento is legally being able to lane split. As Ken indicated - it depends on timing and direction. Getting to San Ysidro can be really easy if coming from the east and going west on I8 to the 5-South. If you are then heading north to Washington - the 5 will definitely get you there (I have done it several times on a bike) as long as you are mindful of peak traffic times through LA and Stockton.

Tele

Premier Member
One of my most 'exciting' rides was with a group of 19 bikes coming into LA from the west heading for Santa Monica pier. It was mid afternoon, a week day (not sure which one) and our tour guide simply gave us the advice of "stick together and do your best to keep up" . Blasting along on the freeway system was exhilarating and somewhat terrifying at the same time. He reckoned speed limits were only advisory signs as the local constabulary would not even attempt to intervene in a ride group that size. Being from Australia, the freeway system that is LA was an interesting experience to say the least. Best wishes on your ride Matt.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
When I was going to a Navy school in Sandy Eggo, I spent almost every weekend in the central valley. Leaving on Friday afternoon was always fun. The best way I found to get from 32nd Street to beyond the LA Basin was as follows: I-15 > I-215 > I-10 > I-210 > I-5 over the Grapevine then 99 all the way to the Modesto area.

Full disclosure: This was 16 years ago so things may have changed a little....

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Good route by Stephen! that avoids a lot of the LA traffic proper; again, truly depends on the day/time that the OP arrives. It's also why I prefaced my prior answer with 'depends on the day'; Sunday morning at daybreak is typically pretty good.

I do recall one trip leaving Camarillo (north-west of the L.A. valley) at about 4:30am on a Sunday and arriving at the eastern end of the Indio metro region (I-10 & CA-86 junction) in 2.5 hours!

My son lives in L.A. these days, so taking the bike truly means navigating traffic as the locals do (as Scott mentioned above...) with proper use of lane-splitting techniques.

At the end of a long motorcycling day, this may or may not be a prudent move.