How to run your first rally?

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Now to work out an efficient fuel stop routine.
It won't be as big a deal as you think, except for the stretch between Las Cruces, NM (or maybe even Deming, NM) and Kerrville, TX.

Rather than me type it up again, read this post from an earlier thread on the subject. That stretch of west Texas can catch you out if you don't fuel conservatively. I almost found myself out of fuel twice on a single trip back in November - once because I didn't stop when I should have, and the second time because I blindly trusted my GPS and followed it to a "gas station" that didn't actually exist.

TomMcD

I'm familiar with the big empty. I've been across there a fair number of times, both on 10 and from where 290 joins in west of Mountain Home. I have Ozona, with 232 miles to Van Horn, and then 225 miles to Deming for fuel with either Ozona or Van Horn being preferred options for sleep. Even with slow (20 minute) fuel stops and 7 hours stopped for a break I'm under 45 hours door to door.

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm familiar with the big empty. I've been across there a fair number of times, both on 10 and from where 290 joins in west of Mountain Home. I have Ozona, with 232 miles to Van Horn, and then 225 miles to Deming for fuel with either Ozona or Van Horn being preferred options for sleep. Even with slow (20 minute) fuel stops and 7 hours stopped for a break I'm under 45 hours door to door.
There _is_ gas between Van Horn and Ozona; I paid attention on my last run and was surprised to see the map "filled in" so to speak.. I still wouldn't think "Oh I've got 35 miles of range left, I'll just grab the next one..."

TomMcD

I didn't mean to imply those were the only options, just that what I have as my planed stops. I've confirmed those are Truck Stops, and 24 hour stations. Given that, with conservative scheduling, I would be expect to be in Ozona between midnight and 1am local with Van Horn arrival being in the small hours if I am maintaining BBG pace.

Stops are on the inbound (east) side of town, giving me more options in case their is some issue with the station, (staffing, robbery, fire) and reducing the chance of having to back track. And the Love's in Van Horn is almost next door to the Days Inn, with many other options lined up along Broadway.

There _is_ gas between Van Horn and Ozona; I paid attention on my last run and was surprised to see the map "filled in" so to speak.. I still wouldn't think "Oh I've got 35 miles of range left, I'll just grab the next one..."

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've coasted to a stop in front of a gas pump there once after in Mindlessly passed the exit where I planned to stop. Goldwing loafed for a months worth of work in San Diego wasn't worth chancing a U Turn so down too the next exit and back I go, Bike died on the of ramp and is was able to coast to the pump.