How to spend $520, $15,000...

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
$520 (Left to Right): BMW timing tool, BMW cam chain tensioner + 2 copper crush washers (these are the used ones), BMW locating pin, and BMW barring tool. The cam chain tensioner alone was well over $300 by itself with the alignment pin just over $100. Considering the labor rate at my local shop is now $130/hour, using these things just ONCE would pay for themselves when I do my valves (which I just did- replaced five @ 48,000 miles).

$15,000: These new Icon tool systems from Harbor Freight. You can look them up on their site. This setup was something like 15' long!

Attachments

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Nice use of your skills and 500 bucks RT.

That wall of red made me weep.... I would run out of my tool skills before filling all of the drawers.

Incredible. :)

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Is there a coupon for that Icon system???
Excluded, naturally. ;)

@BMW RT Pilot - :D My last valve check with CCT replacement cost less than $400 and the valve check is only every 26k miles. (Yamaha) BMW owners are punished for buying the brand. No CCT needs to cost that much or be that involved to replace. It's a simple function.

On the tool boxes, if you skip the wall lockers and over head bins, the price drops significantly. I prefer other brands for tool boxes. If I was going to upgrade now, I'd be down at Home Depot ordering a Milwaukie top and bottom unit. The Mac Tools and Proto roll cabinets and boxes will just have to do for now, but it would be nice to consolidate with a bit better function. (I was able to buy the Mac/Proto stuff at cost+ when I worked for Stanley) As a rule, tool boxes are hideously marked up. A $5k Proto or Snap-on box only costs about $500 to manufacture. The rest is profits for the various vendors in the line, (and shipping).

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
@EricV Not sure what CCT means; doubtful it means Cisco Certified Technician...lol. But if you're referring to cam chain tensioning/tensioner, then you can buy OEM replacements from A&S for only about $95...and that's for BOTH! Crush washers not included, but only $1.15 for a pair. But yeah, the TOOL that simply puts more tension on the cam chain cost more than three times the amount! But in either case, the whole procedure is really easy due to the nature of the boxer engine. With a little more experience, I could probably change-out all eight shims in less time than what it takes to replace the air filter on the RT! :)

I actually spent more time figuring out WHICH shim to use than the actual work itself. :)

Tools...wow...you ain't kidding about outrageous mark-ups! Now that Sear's is gone, the Craftsman line is now at Lowe's; these are chinese-made or Taiwanese-made tools, but they sure kept that ridiculous Made-in-America price tag! Garmin doesn't escape my wrath either- $1000 for the Nav VI vs. the newer and more capable Zumo XT that costs less than $500...that BMW Motorrad Navigator VI sticker must be expensive! LOL

Mike721

Premier Member
My local store sold off the floor models of the old US General tool boxes to make room for new Icon tool boxes. My wife bought me this as a present and she paid less than 1/2 price, it had a tiny scrape on one side, but it's a tool box, not a china closet, I'm fine with that!

Attachments

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
My local store sold off the floor models of the old US General tool boxes to make room for new Icon tool boxes. My wife bought me this as a present and she paid less than 1/2 price, it had a tiny scrape on one side, but it's a tool box, not a china closet, I'm fine with that!
Before Sear's went under, I would get any major appliance needed through their outlet store. I bought a $3000+ and a $1200 refrigerator for under $2100, and that included tax, delivery, setup, and hauling the old one away. Can't see the scratches or dents when in the fridge cabinet!

BMW RT Pilot

Premier Member
Well, these fancy tools haven't been able to overcome my errors in reinstalling the cams after replacing some shims since I can't get the bike running now.

Double check that you are in phase as well as in time. Then, crank it WFO until it starts.
From what I can tell, I've followed the service DVD instructions to the letter; engine locked at TDC, used the tensioner, removed the cams, replaced them with the lobes as directed and the flats parallel, retimed the cams, installed the sensor with the line aligned to the groove on the pickup.

Reverse the cams and try again. You may have installed them opposed, (intake instead of exhaust)
It's an RT- the exhaust cams have a decompression thing on one end. The bright side is I have the procedure (removing/reinstalling/timing) down pat, including torques. Now I just need to get it RIGHT! lol