Hydration System questions

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
Hi all,
What type of personal hydrating system do you use, i.e. Plastic gallon cooler, Camelbak, etc. ? Where do mount/put it on the bike?
Goal is to have cold water.
Thanks in advance. Please email me vs replying lot both is

DrNeo

Premier Member
I use an insulated 50 oz/1.5L Camelbak with a 2nd hose (double, barbed refrigerator connection) that runs from my Aerostich tank panniers (that are located where the passenger footpegs are) to a clip on my tank bag. I find that ice will last about 6 hours in hot weather and gradually warm up as the day goes on. I like it because it's one zipper to open and grab the pack to refill at the gas station.

As a homebrewer, I found the best (inexpensive) cleaner for your Camelbak/Platty is PBW or 1-step cleaner. It won't destroy the plastic liner and is food-grade safe. 1 container will last you years!

Super8mm

Premier Member
Hi all,
What type of personal hydrating system do you use, i.e. Plastic gallon cooler, Camelbak, etc. ? Where do mount/put it on the bike?
Goal is to have cold water.
Thanks in advance. Please email me vs replying lot both is
Here is one a guy on ADV rider is making up.

MotoJug

I know it fits my GS fine but have not tried it on my GT yet, that being said I have no connection with him other than mine works just fine.

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
Here is one a guy on ADV rider is making up.

MotoJug

I know it fits my GS fine but have not tried it on my GT yet, that being said I have no connection with him other than mine works just fine.
Thanks everyone. I'm going to do something with Aerostich panniers mounted to the rear protection bars.

Owsley

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Captain, I have not run a jug lately, probably need to. Lately I have tried putting just the bladder from a camelback or platypus in my riding jacket long front pocket/storage compartment. The plus side is you always have it with you on and off the bike. I found wearing it on my back made my shoulders hurt earlier in the ride.

jsoque

Premier Member
Nice pic DrNeo. I use a neon Yellow Camelback, 2 L. Fill with ice, pour a 2 L Gatorade over it, let it melt, sip it slowly along the way, and lasts about 4-5 hours. Got to give that jug idea thing some thought. But, I am always wanting to be ready to take along a passenger stranded on the side of the road, which is why I like to keep my second helmet packed, second seat open, and the passenger foot pegs clear.

I just cobbled one together earlier this month. The photo is too large to post here, but if you click the link, it will take you a post I wrote with photos.
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/hydration-system-for-my-gs.1150359/#post-29561000
I like it! Same route I took, but got tired of sucking it up from the low mounting point. Got a fish tank pump (eBay $5) and plug it in to my battery tender cable. Find I drink a lot more when it is pushed up the tube like a drinking fountain...

HACKLE

For those using Camelbak's or similar with the "plastic" bag insert, he's a little tip I do. After flushing out with clean water I store the liners and spare hoses in the refrigerator's freezer compartment to eliminate the chance of bacteria or mould forming. Works for me. And I also don't use a Camelbak or similar shoulder mounted drinking system on long rides because of the extra stress/strain put on the shoulders and back/spinal muscles. I prefer a 2.5 litre Icekeg like John Z uses. Cheers.

Interesting...can you show details? TIA
Silly goose. Should have been a little more descriptive, and included pics. So here we go; I figured out some flaws from my first attempt, albeit minor ones, and this was my new one with no issues! I dropped the fish tank motor into the bottom and used a piece of copper tubing to ensure it would stay down level instead of just arching the tubing like the original. This also gave me a good tight fit at the hole in the side. This stopped the small leak I dealt with before when the liquid level was over it, still I sealed it with silicone for insurance. Also, to eliminate the potential for other leakage, I ran the wire from the pump to the switch up the inside of the plastic tubing, which really should be insulated. I chose to run it in through the side instead of the top since I like to fill the cooler with a lot of ice before leaving a hotel, and didn't know if it would be a pain twisting the pump around putting on the lid. 20180725_125502.jpg

The momentary SPST switch is attached through a hole in a piece of really thin metal to hold it at a convenient angle, attached to the tubing with a couple of zip ties. So nice to just thumb the switch to have flavored water powered up the tube! I keep it in reach running it under the tank bag straps, and clip it to a retractable keyring on the handlebars for convenience! I have my battery tender cable coming out from under the seat on the right side of the bike, and mount the cooler on that peg. You can see power is supplied to the tank pump simply by plugging it in where the charger would normally plug in!
20180725_125424.jpg
The hydration system has been a wonderful plus with less fuss, and a lifesaver on a few rides that fluctuated between 110 and 114 for the entire day...

Well I'm glad I asked because shit might've gone badly for me had I tried to connect a household-current pump to the bike! What about venting?- did you just leave the original nozzle open or does that matter?
Mostly, I would have been more concerned about someone driving over the extension cord and unplugging it while you were riding... :) Never really worried about venting - when I quit drinking the liquids simply gravity feed back into the cooler, perhaps equalizing the pressure that way.

Mostly, I would have been more concerned about someone driving over the extension cord and unplugging it while you were riding... :) Never really worried about venting - when I quit drinking the liquids simply gravity feed back into the cooler, perhaps equalizing the pressure that way.
Those damned extension cords!! Foiled again!