I have a question about the IBA ride TIPS and caffeine

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Guess I’m not a serious rider. Don’t have one. Don’t want one.
You have plan that works for you. But for most, many sips are far better at staying hydrated than large drinks at gas stops. Slow and steady Vs peaks and valleys.

@scythefwd - Try a rally sometimes. Even just a 8-10 hour one. It's a completely different animal. Speed isn't part of it, that's a misconception many have. It's not a race, it's a game involving strategy and planning that requires a good amount of focus once in progress. You're not really competing against others, but rather yourself. You plan your ride, you choose where you are going to go, what bonuses you're going after and how you're getting to them w/in the parameters of the event. Afterwards your score is ranked against others and a winner is announced, but you have no idea what anyone else is doing during the event. Someone passing you means nothing since you have no idea what their plan is or where they are going next, where they came from last, etc.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
But getting that bite valve between your teeth at the same time...frustrating. I was grumbling every time I tried to take a drink with mine.
Some find a right angle bite valve a lot easier to use with a full face helmet. LINK There are a ton of different styles, so look around and find what you like, if you want to try that.

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Strictly speaking.. do you _need_ a bite valve? I usually blow air back down the tube so all the liquid is in the thermos anyways...

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Strictly speaking.. do you _need_ a bite valve? I usually blow air back down the tube so all the liquid is in the thermos anyways...
Strictly speaking, no. I also blow back. However, I prefer a bite valve so when I need/choose to spit out the hose because something else needs my full and immediate attention, I don't end up with water leaking anywhere I didn't want it to go. I also believe if keeps my hose a little cleaner, but both of these are just arbitrary preference based on my set ups. I also use a leash so the hose stays up at the handlebar, even if I just let it fly.

I know some riders that don't use or care for bite valves. I haven't discussed why that's their preference.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Getting back to the coffee question - here's some interesting information.

HIT ME - I'm a link...
Even more interesting were the titles of the "follow-on" links after the article (Links removed, you are welcome):

Doctors Stunned: 9-second ‘Fat Burning’ Hack
#1 Item to Hoard in 2021 - Demand is Surging
Think Trump Won? The Dems Don’t Want You to See This!
Everyone Who Believes in God Should Watch This Now

:D:D:D:D

Marc BEAULAC

Everyone is different. I drink coffee everyday 2-3 cups and a Big gulp, or similar in the afternoon, when riding. I let everyone race out to the first bonus and go get an XL coffee. I do the same when at home, except the diet coke comes out of a can. I think not changing patterns is better than cold turkey. Plus if you have water retention isn't a diuretic good? ;-)
As for headsets I use the SMH10 and just plug a power pack in it and can run all day with music playing and phone calls.