IBA Australia - 20th Anniversary 50CC Ride

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Hi guys.

I've typed in the two end locations into Google and have "a route". Its the direct option.
My questions are
*do we have an official route that can be posted up please? ( ive read the ride report but you just never know)
* along that official route are there other particular points of interest that may have featured in the 2003 ride that will or are intended to feature in this anniversary ride?
Thanks in advance.

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
Hi guys.

I've typed in the two end locations into Google and have "a route". Its the direct option.
My questions are
*do we have an official route that can be posted up please? ( ive read the ride report but you just never know)
* along that official route are there other particular points of interest that may have featured in the 2003 ride that will or are intended to feature in this anniversary ride?
Thanks in advance.
Interesting Gatey.

While I will not be joining the group, I do find it interesting to do the planning.

Starting at 2am and approx 8 hours to Adelaide what would the traffic impact at 9.30am local ( or earlier)?
I just popped Melbourne to Port Augusta into Google Maps, it came up with the Adelaide route, and offered a second via Mildura, which was 9 minutes slower.
On the preferred route, to avoid Adelaide City, I put in Mt Pleasant, which was not that much difference either.
Possibilities...just having a play.

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Ok this is good as there seems to be some wriggle room.
Realistically the Melb to Pt Augusta leg is really the only place along the total route that has options and variables.
Ron I had not actually considered a route out via Mildura tending more towards Western Vic.

I just altered route via Mt Pleasant ,Gawler looks more logical. Adelaide does feature in RR by Derrick hence my pondering.

Planning is half the fun.

Last edited:

Derrick

IBR Finisher
Well, there was no Google Maps back in the day!;). In 2003 we went via Adelaide because I like(d) the idea of truck traffic to break the wind/kangaroos/we had UHF.

Throw all the "requirements/constraints" together (Being able to make the red-eye back, breaking the back of the ride on the 1st day, making Alice Springs by dark, all led back to the 8pm departure. Which then had Adelaide in the middle of the night.

There's no restriction on routes from Melb to Port Augusta. A 2-3 am departure provides options. I'll probably see what my "vibe" feels like at Murray Bridge and decide from there :D

jeffrey gebler

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Ok this is good as there seems to be some wriggle room.
Realistically the Melb to Pt Augusta leg is really the only place along the total route that has options and variables.
Ron I had not actually considered a route out via Mildura tending more towards Western Vic.

I just altered route via Mt Pleasant ,Gawler looks more logical. Adelaide does feature in RR by Derrick hence my pondering.

Planning is half the fun.
Just some local input; I would suggest routing from Gawler to Balaklava to Lochiel.

This route avoids Port Wakefield and the distance timed speed cameras along the A1. It also is a scenic lightly traveled road with not much traffic.

Kimmie

Please remove this post if not applicable.

I'm not able to do an IBA ride but am more than willing to be the witness for all the start dockets and travel part of the way out.
Not sure on the rulings for this and whether anyone would like to have me tag at the end of them for a bit.

If you could let me know your thoughts, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Fatman

Please remove this post if not applicable.

I'm not able to do an IBA ride but am more than willing to be the witness for all the start dockets and travel part of the way out.
Not sure on the rulings for this and whether anyone would like to have me tag at the end of them for a bit.

If you could let me know your thoughts, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

It would be great to have you there Kimmie, appreciate your offer to help and to ride along the route for a while.

Last edited: