IBA JAX 2016 PIZZA Party

Slasher

Premier Member
I seem to recall that last years "Full Court" ride information came out later than expected as well. Hopefully the info will be out soon.

mkneebone

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
We changed the bonus order slightly to avoid some upcoming construction that starts March 7th, so that means a new round of proofing, won't be much longer.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Mike tells me we will be doing ride-in certs. Details should be released in a few days.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Slasher

Premier Member
On the Plane Crazy BBG paperwork, there is mention that if you cannot safely complete the ride under 24 hours, you can still qualify for a bun burner silver, or a standard bun burner certificate. This is the first time I've ever heard of a BBS (silver), and I can't find any other info about it. I assume it's just a timing issue like more than 24 hours but less than 30 maybe?

mkneebone

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
On the Plane Crazy BBG paperwork, there is mention that if you cannot safely complete the ride under 24 hours, you can still qualify for a bun burner silver, or a standard bun burner certificate. This is the first time I've ever heard of a BBS (silver), and I can't find any other info about it. I assume it's just a timing issue like more than 24 hours but less than 30 maybe?
The Bun Burner Silver is still a limited release certificate. It is NOT just a Bun Burner in 30 hours, it is used where we have a very difficult GOLD level ride with unique properties. In this case, all the photo stops you have to chase down to complete the Plane Crazy BBG. This amps up a normal, well, if anything can be considered normal in the IBA world, BBG to new level of difficulty. For those kinds of rides, if you go over 24 hours, we will issue a special Bun Burner Silver. The Plane Crazy BBG falls into that world of difficulty up to hour 30.

Of course, if you bail out, get a hotel and come in after 30 hours, then it is going to be a Bun Burner 1500.

I hope this explains it a bit.

Mike

tdragger

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
In the Plane Crazy directions there is a statement "If it is too dark for a good aircraft picture...". What is the definition of "too dark"?

Is it left up to the subjectivity of the scorer?
Is it tied to any of the objective terms regarding sunset and twilight?

Below are the values for Astronomical Twilight, Nautical Twilight, Civil Twilight and Sunset for Orlando, Florida on March 10, 2016.

Sunset: 18:31
Twi: 18:54
Twi N: 19:22
Twi A: 19:49

Not asking just to be a smartass. Just trying to learn the expectations of rally scoring.

Slasher

Premier Member
The key to any picture based bonus is that you have to be able to clearly identify the object you are taking a picture of. If you take a picture of a bonus and all you can make out in the picture is your rally flag and not the aircraft behind it, that's a no-go. That is why every point on the Plane Crazy routes have an alternate photo opportunity which is a sign or plaque that any camera or flashlight will easily be able to illuminate for a pic.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
As Slasher notes, it is not an objective measure, but whether the scorer can see the object.

You should note that this is similar, but not identical, to the definition of "daylight only" as found in the Iron Butt Rally, where in addition to being able to obtain a clear photo of the object, one also has to demonstrate that there was sufficient natural daylight to take the photo (usually by showing in the photo that the sky was still visible and not totally dark).

But the best thing to do if there is any question is take both a photo of the object and a photo of the alternative object (e.g., the sign). In a real rally, one gets docked points for having extraneous photos (like one of your dog), but one is never docked for multiple photos of the same bonus. So if you don't like the way the first photo turns out, take another. Or maybe a third. And then one of the alternative object.

Just some helpful hints for a successful ride.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

mkneebone

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Try to keep in mind that this is a bridge between a SaddleSore and a 24 hours or longer rally. It will help riders get a feel of chasing bonus locations to see if maybe they want to ride many of the fun regional rallies. On that note, we consider this a training session - so you have wide latitude with your photos and then scorers will try to guide you what would not work in a technical rally (that is the training part).

We have never had someone fail to bring a useable photo to the table and many lessons are learned along the way.

I hope that helps.

Mike

tdragger

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks, Ira and Mike. That really helps. As I've mentioned before, my ultimate goal is to be selected and finish the 2019 IBR. I crave that 3 digit IBA number! I need all the training and practice that I can get. Thanks for the opportunity.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
For those planning a certificate ride on the way to the party, here's some information from Mike:

For those members doing a ride-in to the Jacksonville party, for
example, a SaddleSore 1000, 50cc, Bun Burner, etc, you have the
option to receive your certificate Friday afternoon at the awards
presentation at 4 pm.

While you can always submit your ride normal process via snail mail
or email, many riders prefer to turn in the paperwork before the
party and ride home with their certification in-hand (no 4 week or
longer wait). If you want to take advantage of the 2016 JAX ride in
program, Howard Entman and his team of volunteers, have once again
volunteered to verify rides and prepare them before the party.

Detailed instructions are at:

http://ironbutt.com/daytona/ibajaxridein.htm

Slasher

Premier Member
Will Donna have the "swag" table set up again this year? I have lost all my JAX ride decals from the past (been looking for the damn envelope since last March!) and I'd like to replace them.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Will Donna have the "swag" table set up again this year? I have lost all my JAX ride decals from the past (been looking for the damn envelope since last March!) and I'd like to replace them.
If history is any guide, yes, she will be there with the swag.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

hsd10

Premier Member
Going to be a chilly start of my ride down to Melbourne FL in the AM, first stop on the way to JAX. Forecast is for 24 degrees over night. It's one way to chill the water bottles I loaded in my side case today. Weather Service is calling for sunny 70's on Saturday in JAX. Mantra for the first part of the ride "70's and swag"

John Z

Premier Member
Just got signed up on the new forum, so if this is answered elsewhere, please forgive me... How many are registered for the Plane Crazy BBG? I'm signed up, and the closer it gets, the more daunting all those stops becomes!
My route has 16 stops (counting fuel stops).

Slasher

Premier Member
Just got signed up on the new forum, so if this is answered elsewhere, please forgive me... How many are registered for the Plane Crazy BBG? I'm signed up, and the closer it gets, the more daunting all those stops becomes!
My route has 16 stops (counting fuel stops).
Mike sent an email out to 28 riders referring to the plane Crazy ride so I'd say that's a good estimate. It's definitely going to be a challenging ride. I have a long range bike and I still have to make 12 stops myself. I'm less concerned about the stops as I am about the traffic in Tampa. I've been watching the patterns over the last few days trying to figure out the best time to leave Jacksonville to not get stuck in evening rush hour. That's one plus to this years ride... You don't have to leave right at 5:45 as years past.