IBA Mile Eater Program - Feed Your Passion!

MacJoJo

Premier Member
Biggest problem with my BMW is the range, 260 -290 km @ 110-120 km/h, down to 200-220 km @ 160 - 180 km/h (no speed limits in Germany on some parts of autobahn).

If I want to go for Golds I need more range. Then I could do them also in Norway/Sweden.

Have to keep looking for the Yamaha X-Max 250

MacJoJo

Premier Member
Today I got my "verification completed" and paid for 2 of my trips,
- 1 SS 1000 (IronButt) with 1,043 miles approved,
and
- 1 Bun Burner 1500, with 1,533 grueling miles approved.

Just to wait for the patch's and stuff for this. And then I have to apply for the rest of my tours, and for my Mile Eater.

Must say this was processed a lot quicker than expected, documentation was sent July 8th and Jun 14th.

Thank You to Lena at IBA Verification :)

Last edited:

Gar

Premier Member
Question about rides for bronze status. I have 8 certified rides. One is a BBG. Another is a National Parks Master Traveler. Is the National Parks master Traveler enough to count to the 2 gold, extreme or greater than 48 hours w/o time limitation to qualify for bronze? The rest of my rides are SS1ks and a regular BB1500. I think I qualify, just wanted clarification before I turn it in.

TheRoss

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Question about rides for bronze status. I have 8 certified rides. One is a BBG. Another is a National Parks Master Traveler. Is the National Parks master Traveler enough to count to the 2 gold, extreme or greater than 48 hours w/o time limitation to qualify for bronze? The rest of my rides are SS1ks and a regular BB1500. I think I qualify, just wanted clarification before I turn it in.
What did you find out Gar? Did the National Parks Tour count as a "greater than 48 hours" ride for your Bronze?

Counting my rides, I think I have the Platinum about done, assuming a couple of 50cc Quest rides count as "greater than 48 hours" rides. Tim Masterson, what say you?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Well, the NPT is not a GOLD ride, nor is it considered extreme. "Greater than 48 hours" means greater than 48 continuous hours. "Without time limitation" refers to the time limit for completing all the rides to qualify for the Mile Eater award level (the only one right now is the Mile Eater Silver, which must be done within one year). So the NPT would not qualify as one of the required Mile Eater rides.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

TheRoss

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Well, the NPT is not a GOLD ride, nor is it considered extreme. "Greater than 48 hours" means greater than 48 continuous hours. "Without time limitation" refers to the time limit for completing all the rides to qualify for the Mile Eater award level (the only one right now is the Mile Eater Silver, which must be done within one year). So the NPT would not qualify as one of the required Mile Eater rides.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Makes sense... so the 50cc would qualify, but not the NPT.
Thanks!

Gar

Premier Member
I didn’t get a response from anyone until these posts today. I sent in the application for the mile eater bronze, after 2 months with no answer, on 12/8/19. I guess I know now it will be denied.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
To clarify, the NPT would not qualify as one of the required GOLD, extreme, or >48 hr. rides. But it would qualify as one of the required ME standard rides.

FYI, a Saddlesore 1000 can currently take 12-14 weeks for us to verify. So just because you submitted your ME application eight weeks ago does not mean it will be denied.

Ira

Gar

Premier Member
My comment had absolutely nothing to do with how long it takes to certify a ride. I understand and appreciate the work that goes into that. My comment about the time was that I asked the question here and never got a reply here. Had I gotten a reply, I would not have submitted the request, as I will not meet the criteria as you have stated it. I misunderstood from reading the requirements as to whether or not a NPT would qualify. I was wrong. I asked the question of if the NPT would qualify as a gold, etc. I think I was clear as to what I had done. I asked the question 10/4/19. There was never an answer here until 12/30/19. I submitted, since I didn’t have an answer and figured I wouldn’t get one, on 12/8/19. Again, nothing in that is about the time required in the certification process. It was a comment about not getting an answer here that resulted in me filing for a cert I will not qualify for, and thus will waste everyone’s time.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I apologize for missing your October post and for misunderstanding your last comment.

If you have any questions like this in the future please drop me a PM or email me at

[email protected]

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Howdy,

I have a question about Mile Eater Silver. I searched this thread from top to bottom and didn't see this question asked.

The second part of the qualifier says "OR one certified ride per month during a one year period ". Does this mean I could do 12 or more SS1ks within 12 months including some TOH Extremes to get silver status? Or would I still need to do 2 Gold rides?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Howdy,

I have a question about Mile Eater Silver. I searched this thread from top to bottom and didn't see this question asked.

The second part of the qualifier says "OR one certified ride per month during a one year period ". Does this mean I could do 12 or more SS1ks within 12 months including some TOH Extremes to get silver status? Or would I still need to do 2 Gold rides?
It actually says ". . .one certified ride per month during a one year period (12 rides in 12 months - one per month)." That means you need to complete at least one ride per month, as opposed to, for example, doing two per month for six months. So you don't need to do any GOLD rides, but you do need to do at least a ride every month.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Redwing56

Premier Member
Hi all
Quick question. I know in the Mile eater info it does specify that you cannot combine rides (SS1K & BBG) to qualify for the program.
does that hold true once your in? If I were to say do a BBG and SS2K in the same ride, would both be counted towards the program or just one? Could I choose which one? This is assuming I am already in the program
Best!
Josh

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Just to recap, the ME program states, in part,

"Anyone who completes more than one certified ride but NOT on the same ride, for example, your first ride is a SaddleSore 1000 and at a later date, you complete another certified ride, such as a Bun Burner 1500. However, completing a SaddleSore 1000 AND Bun Burner 1500 on the same continuous ride is not eligible for Mile Eater status."

So if one meets the above requirement, one is considered a Mile Eater. Subsequent to that, all certificates earned can be listed as rides completed whether they are nested or not.

In addition to becoming a Mile Eater, we have a program with multiple levels (e.g., Silver, Gold) with their own requirements. I presume that is what you refer to as being "in the program." In order to qualify for those levels, the above still holds - you can use only one of a nested rides as a qualifying ride. You can choose which you want to use as the qualifier.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Paul Meyer

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The biggest thing I have found on completing a BBG is just keep the wheels turning. Resist the temptation to goof around at gas stops. Keep an eye on your overall average speed on your GPS. It will drop like a rock when stopped and takes forever to climb back up. Very satisfying to complete one. Keep moving.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The biggest thing I have found on completing a BBG is just keep the wheels turning. Resist the temptation to goof around at gas stops. Keep an eye on your overall average speed on your GPS. It will drop like a rock when stopped and takes forever to climb back up. Very satisfying to complete one. Keep moving.
You're absolutely correct. The stopped time is what kills a BBG. The serious riders have their gas routines down to not taking anything off.

When I first started doing LD riding and Rallies I would stop, take my gloves off, take my helmet off, get sorted, pull the wallet out and repeat all in reverse after fueling up.

Now I keep a gas and Amex card in an outside pocket accessible with gloves on, my key flap is removed and a short key on a knob lives in the gas cap, I wear a modular helmet and I take nothing off for a gas stop. I don't even get off the bike unless I need to use the facilities, then I only take one glove off for that. Receipt log lives in the map pocket of the tank bag and receipts go in a dedicated pouch, either in the tank bag on in a jacket pocket, depending on which riding jacket I'm wearing.

@Redwing56 - It might help if you think of it a little differently. There is no "program" for mile eater certs. You pick the start date and end date that covers the certs you are using to claim the Mile Eater Bronze or above cert. It's not about the number of certs, it's about the number of rides. http://www.ironbutt.com/mileeater/index.html

Mile Eater
Anyone who completes more than one certified ride. (Note it says "ride" If you got two certs for the same ride, (nesting), that doesn't count as two rides, only one.)
----------------------------
Mile Eater BRONZE
Bronze status is earned by completing at least FIVE certified rides, of which 2 must be GOLD or INSANITY level or greater than 48 hours in duration without a time limitation (you can earn Bronze status over several years).

So no time limit on BRONZE. Pretty simple. If you do a nested ride, only one of those certs counts, so pick the one that works best for your list of five RIDES.
---------------------------
Now things change and you have a 12 month period. YOU pick the 12 month period that contains the rides you wish to submit for this cert. It can start any date, but it will end 12 months from your start date.

Mile Eater SILVER
ALL rides must take place in 12 consecutive months from first ride to last ride for all rides(1 year start to finish)

Silver status is earned by completing at least FIVE certified rides, of which 2 must be GOLD or INSANITY level or greater than 48 hours in duration, in ONE YEAR OR one certified ride per month during a one year period (12 rides in 12 months - one per month)

It really doesn't matter if your riding season starts in June, so you start your "year" then, and go until the following June. Or you kick it off with a New Years Day ride and plan your 5 rides during the calendar year. You just have to make two of them Gold or Insanity level, or greater than 48 hours like a SS3K or up ride or a BBG. BBG is a GOLD level ride, the SS3K is greater than 48 Hrs. If you did a SS3KGold, that would count as a GOLD ride too. An I-10E2E in 39 hours or less would also be a Gold level ride, per those rules.

The easiest way to get a Mile Eater Silver is to do two BBGs and three SS1Ks during the same 12 month period. Doing a SS1K every calendar month would also get you a Silver. Or any combo of 12 cert rides, one a month, over a consecutive 12 month period. No doing 2 one month, then skipping a month, that won't count.
------------------------
Mile Eater GOLD
GOLD status is earned by completing at least TWENTY certified rides, of which FIVE must be GOLD or INSANITY level or greater than 48 hours in duration without a time limitation (you can earn GOLD status over several years).

Back to no time limit for the period you do the rides in. But remember, RIDES, not certs. 20 rides, of which 5 must be Gold or Insanity level or greater than 48 hours in duration. Same rules as the silver, but more rides and no set calendar time frame. YOU pick the rides, but only one cert ride from each nested ride you did counts.
--------------------------
If you get to Platinum, you're not asking questions about this stuff any more. :D