IBA Mile Eater Program - Feed Your Passion!

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
GOLD rides, by definition, are more difficult versions of standard rides. Notwithstanding the fact that some GOLD rides are Saddlesore 1000's, for the purpose of the Mile Eater award they (obviously, because we have accepted them) count toward the ME requirement to complete GOLD rides.

That said, if a rider disagrees with this interpretation they can complete what, in their opinion, is a "true" GOLD ride for the Mile Eater awards. We won't stop them. :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Redwing56

Premier Member
Does one have to apply to have mile eater status or does it happen automatically after the second ride is complex
I have 4 certs and believe I read that ME stuff can be ordered when the 2nd ride is complete
Thanks!

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
If you have two certified rides, you are considered a Mile Eater. For those with more ambitious goals, there is the Mile Eater program, for which you would need to meet the requirements of the various levels and apply for the awards.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Redwing56

Premier Member
Hello all
I have completed my certs to join the ME status and actually ordered shirts that have arrived.
Is there a certification for the basic level or just bronze and above? How would I go about ordering? Thanks all

Dr. Tiki

Premier Member
How are people earning multiple Mile Eater certificates of the same designation if they are considered "lifetime achievement awards"? One for each of their personalities? ;) (see it's a winky face, this makes it humurous)

I can kind of understand Mile Eater Silver certificates as they have a 12-month limitation on them. But the purist in me, like nesting, says I will not be submitting for a second achievement.

But for the other levels like Bronze and Gold, how are people earning multiple certificates? It's rare, but it is out there on the Big List.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
How are people earning multiple Mile Eater certificates of the same designation if they are considered "lifetime achievement awards"? One for each of their personalities? ;) (see it's a winky face, this makes it humurous)

I can kind of understand Mile Eater Silver certificates as they have a 12-month limitation on them. But the purist in me, like nesting, says I will not be submitting for a second achievement.

But for the other levels like Bronze and Gold, how are people earning multiple certificates? It's rare, but it is out there on the Big List.
It doesn't seem to be commonly done. Only one name shows up on the big list for more than one ME Bronze out of the 67 listings. And each is for a different year, implying to me that it was 5 different rides each year, but it might just be a typo for all I know. What it appears is that there is a distinction for doing Bronze or Gold in 12 months even though it's a lifetime achievement. The few ME Golds that are multiple for the same rider, one is stated to be in 12 months. My suspicion is that the second ME cert at the same level was for completely different rides, and in a single year.

Redwing56

Premier Member
I think I know the answer but just to confirm an eggsanity 1000 gold satisfies the gold level ride for silver? My other “gold” was a BBG
TIA

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I think I know the answer but just to confirm an eggsanity 1000 gold satisfies the gold level ride for silver? My other “gold” was a BBG
TIA
If it uses the word GOLD in the ride title, it is a GOLD ride for the purposes of the Mile Eater award.

Is that what you thought the answer was? :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

AwDang

I have a question I didn’t see asked already.

Are multiday SS1k rides counted as individual 1k’s or their cumulative SS(x)k for ME status levels?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Depends on how the ride was submitted.

If, for example, you submitted a Saddlesore 3000, it would count as one ride. If you submitted three Saddlesore 1000's done on consecutive days, then it would count as three rides. Also note that one cannot nest rides for the ME award.

There is another, subtler distinction. A Saddlesore 3000, for example, is three thousand miles in three days (i.e., on could ride 900 miles in the first 24 hours, 1100 miles in the second 24 hours, and 1000 miles in the third 24 hours. This is in contrast to three Saddlesore 1000's, where one needs to complete at least 1,000 miles in each 24-hour period.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

AwDang

Depends on how the ride was submitted.

If, for example, you submitted a Saddlesore 3000, it would count as one ride. If you submitted three Saddlesore 1000's done on consecutive days, then it would count as three rides. Also note that one cannot nest rides for the ME award.

There is another, subtler distinction. A Saddlesore 3000, for example, is three thousand miles in three days (i.e., on could ride 900 miles in the first 24 hours, 1100 miles in the second 24 hours, and 1000 miles in the third 24 hours. This is in contrast to three Saddlesore 1000's, where one needs to complete at least 1,000 miles in each 24-hour period.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Subtle distinction, thank you sir!
If my latest ride gets approved then it looks like I made ME Bronze too!

Tcmcnomad

NoMaD
Premier Member
For the 12 in 12 mile eater silver, does it just need to be 12 total rides in 12 months total time or does it need to be one in each individual month?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
For the 12 in 12 mile eater silver, does it just need to be 12 total rides in 12 months total time or does it need to be one in each individual month?
You have the option of doing any 12 certified rides, one for each month in a 12 consecutive month period, OR riding 5 certified rides, of which 2 must be Gold or Insanity level or greater than 48 hours in duration.

So you can get a ME Silver with 3 SS1Ks and 2 BBGs completed in the same 12 month period, for example.

So if you choose to ride 12 rides, it needs to be one for each month.

From the IBA page linked to below:
Mile Eater SILVER

The Silver level is totally different (this time limit does not exist in any other Mile Eater program). ALL rides must take place in 12 consecutive months from first ride to last ride for all rides(1 year start to finish).

Silver status is earned by completing at least FIVE certified rides, of which 2 must be GOLD or INSANITY level or greater than 48 hours in duration, in ONE YEAR OR one certified ride per month during a one year period (12 rides in 12 months - one per month)

Tcmcnomad

NoMaD
Premier Member
But what I'm saying is does each ride have to be in a separate month, or could it be like oct, November, skip dec-feb, then 2 rides per month for 5 months?