IBR Prep. Bonus Point Practise Ride 15 April

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I hadn't been out riding for a while and I wanted to run through my routine for routing and collecting bonus points so Easter Saturday was locked away in the diary, a route was knocked out in Basecamp (God give me patience), and then uploaded into the GPS's and finally the Rally Camera charged.

Departure time was set for 2:00am but I was a few minutes early out the door.

It was a nice cool night in Canberra, the stars were out as I headed for BP # 1.

Bonus Point # 1 OPH Steps (The steps into Old Parliament House)

My routine includes checking the date stamp on the camera after taking the photo, well it was showing yesterday's date...hmmm, alright then, changed the date to th correct date and time and retook the photo. All good, time to move on to the next BP.

Rode out onto Majura Parkway past the airport heading for Goulburn. The temperature steadily dropping and near Lake George the fog rolled in. No rush, just taking my time enjoying the solititude, me, myself and a few foxes and rabbits.

Rolled into Goulburn feeling cold but otherwise good. (I had my heated vest on but on low)

Bonus Point # 2. The Big Merino.

Log written up recording date, time, odo and name of BP, i rode back out into the Hume and headed for Sydney. The fog got thicker and thicker, eventually becoming a real pea soup. It finally cleared away after Bowral, the stars came back out along with the traffic. It's Saturday morning, and the usual tradies are up early and on their way. Made my through the city and over the bridge to my next stop.

Bonus Point # 3 Sydney Opera House from Kirribilli.

Fuelled up at my "local" servo in North Sydney, the attendants have gotten used to me turning up at odd times. I felt hungry so thought I would grab a coffee and snack but no luck, nothing open at 5.30am Easter Saturday. Continued on to Pennant Hills Road and then back onto the M1 heading northwards, on with the cruise control and watch the sunrise over the Pacific coast. Beautiful. The miles rolled by and the temperature gradually climed back into double digits. Left the heated vest on. Ducked into Nabiac for a coffee and toast before refuelling at Taree service centre. Then headed east to the next Bonus Point.

Bonus Point # 4. IBR Veterans Shane and Anette Cudlin

Made sure I wrote my log up first for this stop, then had a cuppa and shot the breeze with Cuddles while Annette played with the grandkids. Good times!

Checked out Shane's new ride in the garage, a shiny yellow Tenere already kitted out with the LD necessary items. Nice bike! Time to get riding to the next BP! Jumped off the Freeway, now for some back roads and corners. Heaven! Rolled into Gloucester in time for their Easter Street Parade, hmmm, timing is every thing. Managed to sneak a parking spot outside the BP, wrote up the log and snap the photo without being accosted by the passing crowds. More difficult than you think, there was a lot of "what are you doing?"

Bonus Point # 5. Roadies Cafe in Gloucester.

From here I made my way down Bucketts Way, enjoying the sun and the scenery to Stroud.

Bonus Point # 6 The Stroud Gates.

Continued on Bucketts Way back to the Freeway, where I turned southwards and settled back into covering some distance as I worked my back past Newcastle, and onwards to Sydney. The traffic was much heavier now, the perfect weather bringing everyone out. I made good time through Pennant Hills and then on the M2/7 to head southwest to my next stop.

Bonus Point # 7. Exeter General Store, Exeter.

Onwards into the setting sun, the shadows starting to lengthen. The warmth had gone out of the sun now as the temperature started to cool. Turned off the Hume at Goulburn to take the back road towards Tarago for my final BP.

The ride through here was sublime, the countryside looking glorious in its autumn colours, the setting sun providing a changing hue of light.

Bonus Point # 8. The Loaded Dog, Tarago.

With the last bonus Point written up it was time to head for home. It was a chilly ride to Bungendore and Canberra but the views were great!

Sunset over Lake George

Rode into Canberra, collected my finishing receipt and wrote up my log. Job done! 1,273 kms for 8 Bonus Points. A few lessons to be taken from this but I was happy with the days outing.

Last edited:

Fatman

We can all learn a lot from practising and fine tuning our procedures, that a good run to test.

I like Bonus #2, I know that BIG BOY from previous rides.. :eek:

Bonus #4 with Annette, Shane and the "lil" one has to get double points, well done. ;)

Thanks Martin

Brookester

Premier Member
So now you got the riding flag photo log book sorted time to grab some earlier rally packs and practice the good ole reading comprehension and into basecamp route in under 4hrs...remember....no regrets just learning opportunities...best of luck