IBR Winners

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
I was looking at the list of winners of the Ironbutt rally and have wondered where they disappear to, I don't see them posting on the forums, the "list", I have met many finishers and rode in a rally with a few, and don't get me wrong I was star struck meeting them, one of the coolest things I got to do was ride a few stop lights with a Ironbutt finisher during the rockin ride rally, so my question would be, once a rider wins the big rally do they ride the smaller rallies anymore and do you think there will ever be a two time winner, thanks Rodney

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
It varies. Some are done after an IBR win. Some keep riding rallies. Some stay involved by establishing their own rallies or joining us on the other side of the scoring table, some leave the community altogether. There really isn't a single answer.

My own observation is that IBR winners are driven people. Once they have met one challenge, they look for others, like taking up long-distance bicycling, flying aircraft, or running marathons.

It's very tough to win the IBR once, let alone twice. Many have tried, but no on has to date been successful. Mike counsels the winners that they should quit while they are ahead (so to speak) and not attempt a second win, but a lot don't listen. :) That's not to say it won't happen, but it will take an extraordinary talented rider with the resources and will to go for it a second time. And a bit of luck.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Last edited:

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
Lots of good info and history on that list, I spent half the morning reading all the categories, thanks to all that worked on it.