Icicle Ride 23rd June 2018

Fatman

The Icicle Ride is on again, this year marks the 38th time this event has been run. It is on the 23rd June 2018, see below for details.

In the words of the BMWMCCVic:

This year the Icicle Ride will take riders to differing terrain types which will see them skirt the magnificent Bass Straight under close to a full moon. The ride will traverse undulating hills of the Gippsland region, take in a short cut through a dirt section for GS riders and capture the rolling green hills east of Melbourne. A ride not to be missed!

Riders can choose to self-navigate via instructions handed out on the night, or take in a ride with a group led by one of the club’s nominated Ride Leaders. The ride duration is approximately 4.5 Hours and additionally there will be two stops along the way. One will be a fuel stop and the other a Soup and Supper stop.

Rally badges will be presented to riders at the final destination where a late night supper of coffee, tea and biscuits will also be provided.

Riders are to assemble at the BP service station 65 Princes Fwy Officer (Eastbound) 5:00PM for registration and ride briefing, before the scheduled departure at 6:00PM. -38.070101,145.3863166

Entry Fee: $50 Rider, $35 Pillion (Early bird registration)

$55 Rider, $40 Pillion (Late on the day registration)

Information: Niels Holm 0400 873 619

Proceeds from the event will be donated to the Royal Flying Doctor Service

Rusjel

Premier Member
I've done this a couple of times and always enjoyed it.

They went away from the midnight start for a few years, returned to it last year and changed again for this one. A little sad about that, but I'm sure they had their reasons.

Fatman

I've done this a couple of times and always enjoyed it.

They went away from the midnight start for a few years, returned to it last year and changed again for this one. A little sad about that, but I'm sure they had their reasons.
Not sure Russell why they have changed it back this year to a 6pm start. Other year's the reasons have been the organisers worry about black ice.

what time does this finish? midnight?
I would think it would be around midnight Drain, usually within 100km of Melb... Somewhere..

HACKLE

I'm sure there would/is a bed available for any participant from interstate either here, at Trafalgar or at Fatman and LTP's home.

Nico

Well-known Member. Moderator
Thanks for the heads up again Mick.
I've also done a couple and enjoyed the midnight starts.
Haven't done one since they went earlier. I'm half keen to do one again, but for this one I have a big ride on the Sunday with an early start.
So unfortunately NO this time.
Enjoy!

Fatman

Shame you can't make it this year Nico, I suppose there's no chance of starting your big Sunday ride on the way home from the finish of the Icicle Ride? o_O :p

So the list starts, just add your name

Fatman

Hackle

Philmor

Macca

Fatman

Derrick, John, Hackle, Philmor and myself completed the Icicle Ride last night. We started at the earlier start time of 6pm from Officer (East of Melb) with 3 stages ahead of us with a total of I think 47 riders. Lynne the Pillion was there to wave us off, thanks Lynne.

A very nice riding night with the lowest temp seen of around 9C and no rain at all.

I'm sure others will add their own take on the ride.

Congratulations to John McCrindle for receiving the trophy for the furthest travelled to get to the start, John rode down from Sydney for the ride. :bow :bow

Hackle also received a trophy for being the loudest oldest rider on the night. Seriously well done Hackle.

Thanks all for a good night guys.

Derrick, John, Hackle, Philmor and myself completed the Icicle Ride last night. We started at the earlier start time of 6pm from Officer (East of Melb) with 3 stages ahead of us with a total of I think 47 riders. Lynne the Pillion was there to wave us off, thanks Lynne.

A very nice riding night with the lowest temp seen of around 9C and no rain at all.

I'm sure others will add their own take on the ride.

Congratulations to John McCrindle for receiving the trophy for the furthest travelled to get to the start, John rode down from Sydney for the ride. :bow :bow

Hackle also received a trophy for being the loudest oldest rider on the night. Seriously well done Hackle.

Thanks all for a good night guys.

It was a very mild Icicle Ride, temperature was quite mild, didn’t even turn heated vest on! It was much colder riding back to Sydney on the Sunday, 3 degrees near Albury with fog. The fog turned to icicles on my mirrors.

One of the observations Derrick had, was that the demographics of the Icicle Ride is changing, he noted that 18 years ago when we did our first Icicle Ride that it used to be mostly old guys riding, but now it is people mostly our age!