I'm having a mental health day

sixty6north

Just a very brief update - detailed report to come (in due course).

That was a tough ride!

When i got to Scarborough a few hours ago, I was cooked and being able to follow Gus' taillight went from being something fun or helpful, to being pivotal - the last 20km were hard.

At the beginning of the ride, and as Tele has detailed elsewhere, I think I would still been riding around in circles in Brisbane if Clint had not come to save the day.

Ox, Wom, TjJand Clint (in no particular order) have each provided critical input and advice during preparation or execution of the ride - i don't feel like it would have been possible without your support or guidance

Crappy, Tele, Gus and Lyndsay all came out at weird hours to accompany me at the start or finish - can't express how much I appreciated your company and enthusiastic support - such a great morale booster.

people were also available by phone during the ride - Wom and Fatman, I'm looking at you - updating me with road position information, providing encouragement when I was feeling a bit done in - they may have seemed like banal conversations to you two, but the support at critical times during the ride was absolute gold.

Finally, my long-suffering wife and the rest of my immediate family who stayed up all hours sending messages of encouragement or calling me to will me on - words aren't enough - thanks.

So,
(a) its plain to see that this was very much a team effort - I appreciate people's congratulations, but i could not have don't it alone;
(b) Those who have gone before, and on whose shoulders I stand (Davo and Ox) reallly did do this ride largely unassisted, and now having completed the ride I have a whole new appreciation for your astounding achievements.

So thanks everyone - the LD rider community is a great thing.

keep watching

Fatman

Rob asked me to update you all.

Unfortunately he filled the bike with Diesel fuel by accident when he arrived in Scarborough. The bike ran ok to the Motel across the road but then spluttered to a stop getting out of the car park this morning.

Gus is heading back to help out and they can drain the main tank fairly easily I believe, fill it with fresh petrol and fingers crossed it will clear itself. The long range tank has petrol in it.

Rob was still sounding optimistic and was replanning figures in his head while he was on the phone to me.

Gus I am sure will update us once he knows what's going on.

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
Bugger. But you're not the only one to make that mistake.
Well done on the crossing.

Hmm, just thinking how to stop this wrong fuel. Maybe pull up at the bowser and identify the diesel pump first? Meaning like, does it have a distillate dispenser? Then look for your choice?

Last edited:

Nev..

Premier Member
Bugger. But you're not the only one to make that mistake.
Well done on the crossing.

Hmm, just thinking how to stop this wrong fuel. Maybe pull up at the bowser and identify the diesel pump first? Meaning like, does it have a distillate dispenser? Then look for your choice?
After a 50CCGold, I reckon just about any process for choosing correct fuel would be subject to failure.

My work cars consist of a mix of petrol, diesel and LPG cars so I am already in a habit of checking and doublechecking the bowsers when I select fuel, and when I'm refueling my bike I also doublecheck again after I have selected the pump and stuck the nozzle in the tank, but this is mainly an issue at Caltex where everythign is labelled Vortex.

Fatman

Update from Rob.

Gus and Rob drained as much Diesel from the GS's main tank as they could get out, still no firing. They removed spark plugs and they are drenched in Diesel. Tried to clean them the best they could but to no success. I believe Gus is arranging a trailer to bring both Rob and the bike back to his home where they will try to drain more Diesel from the various fuel lines etc. Fingers crossed.

Skidoo

Premier Member
Looks like we have the right guys on the job, fingers crossed and thanks Gus for always assisting the guys from the East, your a legend mate :)

Fatman

Update from the West.

Gus just spoke to LTP and they have Rob's bike running albeit with some Diesel smoke out the exhaust which will hopefully clear after a while.

They are screwing the bike back together, having a home cooked meal, Rob is going to workout plan B for the ride, a good sleep and hopefully he can get back on track.

Rob did say earlier that he had 1.5 days up his sleeve prior to the fuel issue rearing its ugly head.

Well done boys!

Tele

Premier Member
WOW! An adventure and saga all in one!:D This will make a great story in due course. Excellent achievement across the nation there Rob, bugger and double bugger regarding the fuel. Top shelf performance yet again from Gus to swing a rescue plan into action. You summarised it so well yourself Rob .... "the LD rider community is a great thing" :)