In-City SS1600?

What are the rules for an in-City IBA ride?
We will soon have a 78 km ring road. This would need 21 circuits for 1638 km.
Will my SPOTWalla/GPS track and gas receipts be good enough documentation?
I seem to recall an article where an in-City ride was done ( Kamloops?) and witnesses were used to count the laps.
Our ring road ( Anthony Henday) is supposedly going to be the first "free flowing orbital ring road" in Canada. One continuous loop. No stop lights.
I've identified a couple gas stations that are close to the road at off ramps so would get off and back on for fuel and not off the ring for long.
Thanks
Bruce

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
What are the rules for an in-City IBA ride?
We will soon have a 78 km ring road. This would need 21 circuits for 1638 km.
Will my SPOTWalla/GPS track and gas receipts be good enough documentation?
I seem to recall an article where an in-City ride was done ( Kamloops?) and witnesses were used to count the laps.
Our ring road ( Anthony Henday) is supposedly going to be the first "free flowing orbital ring road" in Canada. One continuous loop. No stop lights.
I've identified a couple gas stations that are close to the road at off ramps so would get off and back on for fuel and not off the ring for long.
Thanks
Bruce
First and foremost, the entire route must be within the city limits. A quick look at the map shows that the eastern side of the loop (around Edmonton, Alberta if anyone isn't familiar) in the Sherwood Park area is not within the Edmonton city limits. So that route would not work.

That said, yes, we do have special rules for in-city rides, in addition to the one above:

A ride plan, including the route, documentation points, and witness list, needs to be pre-approved by us before the attempt.

There need to be at least two witnesses at each of two locations along the route for the entire ride. For out-and-back routes, they need to be at the ends. For circular routes, they need to be on opposite sides of the circle. In practical terms, this usually means that one needs two sets of witnesses, unless the original four sit in the same spot for the entire time. So you may need a tital of eight witnesses to cover the ride.

Ideally, the witnesses need to be known the the Iron Butt Association staff, but at the very least they need to be IBA members.

Normal documentation requirements still apply. Satellite and GPS tracks are also helpful.

There may be other requirements on a case-by-case basis.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Thanks Ira.

Guess I'll have to wait until we annex Sherwood Park or until Calgary's Stoney Trail ring road is completed and hope it lies totally within the city.

Bruce

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks Ira.
Guess I'll have to wait until we annex Sherwood Park or until Calgary's Stoney Trail ring road is completed and hope it lies totally within the city.
Bruce
Not necessarily. If you feel you can gather the required witnesses, you simply have to document that you stopped at the edge of the route inside the city, and returned the opposite direction to the edge of the city limits, (or nearest exit inside the city limits), before again turning around. Yes, this will alter the ride and potentially add difficulty. But, it's ~49 miles, (~79 km), from
Salisbury Petroleum, 6510 Meridian St NW, Edmonton, AB T6P 1S6

via: Anthony Henday Dr NW

to: Brintnell Husky, 3715 160 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T5Y 0K3

Easy enough to have those your fuel stops when fuel is needed. You might also want a convenient hotel room on the route for pre/post sleep and possible during the event stops.

The tricky part is you will need two witnesses in the middle of your route to verify you took that route. A minimum of 3 checkpoints, possibly more, and Spot tracking, (I would ride a loop with the Spot tracking as an example of one pass of the 21 you plan to do), just to consider a route to turn in for hopeful pre-verification. I say this having been thru the procedure and getting my route approved for an in city SS1K. In the end, I was unable to round up enough approved witnesses to do the ride w/o myself having to witness, leaving only one rider doing the ride and preventing me from doing it. I considered just doing it w/o turning in the certification, just to see if I could pull it off, but it lacks something when you can't document it and get the certification from the IBA and I chose not to give it a go.

Not necessarily. If you feel you can gather the required witnesses, you simply have to document that you stopped at the edge of the route inside the city, and returned the opposite direction to the edge of the city limits, (or nearest exit inside the city limits), before again turning around. Yes, this will alter the ride and potentially add difficulty. But, it's ~49 miles, (~79 km), from
Salisbury Petroleum, 6510 Meridian St NW, Edmonton, AB T6P 1S6

via: Anthony Henday Dr NW

to: Brintnell Husky, 3715 160 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T5Y 0K3
It doesn't appear that route works, based on the boundary data here: https://data.edmonton.ca/Administrative/City-of-Edmonton-Corporate-Boundary/m45c-6may/data

You can't get to the Salisbury Petroleum station without crossing a city boundary out of the city. Zoom in close, the boundary around there is erratic.

You could do

Petro-Canada, 5009 Ellerslie Rd SW, Edmonton, AB T6X 1A4 to Brintnell Husky, 3715 160 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T5Y 0K3

Google says that's 55.3 km one way. One witness at the north end, one witness at the south end. One witness in the middle at the Petro-Canada at 87 Ave NW. On the northbound leg the rider would have to ride into the station, on the southbound leg the witness could probably see the rider exit and loop back onto the highway.

When John Ryan and Sean Gallagher did the Chicago 1000 we were positioned within sight of the exit ramp so they just had to exit, slow down, we signaled that we saw them, and they got right back on the interstate.