InState SS1000

Hi All,
I'm planning on my first SS1000, and doing it in a state (Michigan) that doesn't have a InState patch.
Can I order a MI InState Pin and a regular SS1000 patch? I'd like both a pin and a patch. I'm not looking for double certification or anything like that.

mcrigid

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi All,
I'm planning on my first SS1000, and doing it in a state (Michigan) that doesn't have a InState patch.
Can I order a MI InState Pin and a regular SS1000 patch? I'd like both a pin and a patch. I'm not looking for double certification or anything like that.
Hi Speed,
I'm considering in Michigan SS1000 as well. Do you have any routes planned you would be willing to share?

Hi Rigid, Sure.
I planned to do a loop and go to Bald Eagle Harley on Lake Superior, because it seemed like a good target location to turn around.
The gas stops are timed for a 5am start and the Pilot at the start/end is 24 hours. My Dyna Superglide gets 160-170 per tank, so I planned on gas stops @ 150 mi or so.

2 caveats:
1) I didn't finish this ride, barely started and the constant rain and thunderstorms dissuaded me.
2) I have it starting from fairly south-east portion of MI (Ann Arbor), so your starting point may vary.
Here are two google maps (because there's a 10-stop limit)
Out
https://goo.gl/maps/6dTxVtGnx6H2
Return
https://goo.gl/maps/uxHdoM2Pd9T2

This was my first attempted ride, so I'm open to any suggestions from more experienced riders.

mcrigid

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
This was my first attempted ride, so I'm open to any suggestions from more experienced riders.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the Quick reply Speed,
We actually are pretty close to one another. I would start my ride near Belleville. Bald Eagle HD sounds like a great destination.
My SS1000 was several years ago, so I'm not really a seasoned IBA rider. My only advice would be to ride with at least one other person. I may be interested in doing next year.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
My only advice would be to ride with at least one other person..
There are a number of pluses and minuses to riding with someone. Unless you are extremely compatible as riders, differences in fuel capacity and range, bladder size, riding styles, the need to get off the bike and other factors can make it more difficult to successfully complete the ride. One also has to consider what one does if one rider needs to abort the ride - do you both abort? The more folks on the ride, the less efficient and more dangerous the ride becomes (as an example of the latter, the fastest or most efficient rider tends to lead and the least capable rider tends to lag and is constantly trying to keep up. This can cause the less capable rider to ride over his/her limit, sometimes with unhappy results. But if the slowest rider is put in the lead, it means the entire group rides at the slowest pace, very frustrating for the others). So consider riding with someone carefully.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

This was my first attempted ride, so I'm open to any suggestions from more experienced riders.
Thanks for the Quick reply Speed,
We actually are pretty close to one another. I would start my ride near Belleville. Bald Eagle HD sounds like a great destination.
My SS1000 was several years ago, so I'm not really a seasoned IBA rider. My only advice would be to ride with at least one other person. I may be interested in doing next year.[/QUOTE]
I'm actually just in Ann Arbor for a couple weeks, I live in Cincinnati. Unfortuantely the weather didn't cooperate for my weekend-timing.
@Ira I know what you mean about riding in a group. Of the guys I usually ride with, I'm the fastest and can last the longest (although my gas tank isn't the largest). So it's always a challenge on weekend rides to keep my speed in check (I'm also the navigator), and look in rear mirror a lot.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...>Of the guys I usually ride with, I'm the fastest and can last the longest (although my gas tank isn't the largest). So it's always a challenge on weekend rides to keep my speed in check (I'm also the navigator), and look in rear mirror a lot.
My two-bits, solely based on the statement I quoted...

Ride this alone. You don't seem to be one that needs ride encouragement.

Plan a 500+ mile ride, then go ride it.

If you're feeling pretty good after that (provided you've not done a 500+ mile ride...), go ride a SaddleSore.

Luck to ya!

Plan a 500+ mile ride, then go ride it.

If you're feeling pretty good after that (provided you've not done a 500+ mile ride...), go ride a SaddleSore.

Luck to ya!
Thanks Thom! Good advice.
I did five 500+ mile rides from Cincinnati to Seattle on a Sportster 883. But that was a) before I knew what IBA was and b) about all my body on a Sportster could handle. I've since done several 600-750mi rides on the Dyna Superglide, but that was with a specific destination in mind, and not a time/mileage goal.
I just have to figure out where and when for the next SS plan.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I've since done several 600-750mi rides on the Dyna Superglide, but that was with a specific destination in mind, and not a time/mileage goal.
Oh...never mind. I think you've proved that you should be able to do it.
I just have to figure out where and when for the next SS plan.
I think your same route looks do-able; what do you think would be wrong as it is?

The start is 250 miles from my home. I was just staying here in MI for a couple weeks. It was just a matter of opportune time away from work and fam.
Otherwise, you're right.