Interested in doing a 50CC ?

Skidoo

Premier Member
Skidoo, wondering why the choice of Coogee for the start, over your usual Newcastle start?
IMHO the southern route is safer and easier.
Wanted to give the GTR a start at Coogee, I've only done a Coogee start on the R15. From initial enquiries most riders were closer to Coogee so it seemed a logical starting point.

To be honest, I prefer the Newcastle start point. You get to enjoy the countryside earlier and I can't help myself and always take a photo at Cobar that annoys Jo immensely! Just cant help myself!

Southern route being safer? Possibly, however I really haven't had too much trouble from Newcastle.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Wanted to give the GTR a start at Coogee, I've only done a Coogee start on the R15. From initial enquiries most riders were closer to Coogee so it seemed a logical starting point.

To be honest, I prefer the Newcastle start point. You get to enjoy the countryside earlier and I can't help myself and always take a photo at Cobar that annoys Jo immensely! Just cant help myself!

Southern route being safer? Possibly, however I really haven't had too much trouble from Newcastle.
It makes lots of sense starting in Coogee if most riders are close to Sydney. The easy access to the start of the run down the Hume will also be a good way to calm the nerves if any are feeling edgy. Especially after about one hour and forty five minutes of restless sleep before heading off, eh?

I'm biased of course because I live at the beach at Newcastle and push my bike in silence to the start to collect sand samples.

Irrespective of where this particular ride is starting from I can highly recommend Newcastle as a start point for a 50CC. The 'new' Hunter Expressway is like a little Hume, delivering you as it does onto the lovely Golden Valley Way and beyond. Accommodation, ATMs, 24 hour BP servo a few kays from the water and ample experienced local witnesses happy to sign you off 24 hours a day. Just for future reference.

Tele

Premier Member
They say ignorance is bliss, but in my case it's embarrassing ...... can anyone give me a specific address for the start location in Coogee ?
My attempts at "BP" searches have proven useless in narrowing down the location (given also that I have not been there before).
o_O:rolleyes:

Grey Gentry

Premier Member
It is a Caltex servo Ian. 146-148 Coogee bay Road Coogee. (cnr Mount St roundabout) Interested in the BMW's ride plan Ian. I'm planning on going for a ride on Sunday too.

Tele

Premier Member
It is a Caltex servo Ian. 146-148 Coogee bay Road Coogee. (cnr Mount St roundabout) Interested in the BMW's ride plan Ian. I'm planning on going for a ride on Sunday too.
Ahhhhh ....... thank you Ron :D. That helps immensely ! Nothing quite like the correct information to clarify the situation :rolleyes:

As for the ride plan ........ still thinking. I have Friday off and need to be back at work 05:30 Sunday. My wife is working all week so the only time we have together this week is Saturday. I don't want to spend all day Saturday on the road and then front the 4 x 12hr shifts to follow from Sunday. So if anything, I'll possibly ride somewhere Friday with the option to either finish at the Coogee sign off or use that as a waypoint en route for a finish back at home.

Fransvdm

Premier Member
Tele

When I did the 50CC (and when I saw people off in the past) we actually met at the beach right down the end of Coogee Bay Road. They need to get sea water to go and dump in the Indian Ocean. There are more water in the Pacific Ocean than the Indian ocean, I was told, therefor the need to take the water with them :(

I actually brought water back with me from The Indian Ocean but that was because Dr Ox wanted the "sample"
:oops::oops:

I do not know where they will meet up this time, but I intend to be at the beach about 3:15 for a 3:30 start, fuelled up. I am not going to Perth, but just want to make sure that the riders get out of town. I will sit behind them for a while and then come back home. I will just do a short 1-day ride.

This will be my SPOT link. It will go live at 01:30am Saturday morning when I leave home

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=ffca56dcbc880c080

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Tele,

I will be at the Beach down at the end of Coogee bay Road to make sure I take on share on sand and the Pacific Ocean for transport to Perth. can meet you there at 3:00a if you like.

Also if you are after a bed on Friday night you are welcome to bunk down on the Nth Shore where I will be in my Sydney work bolthole.

Nev..

Premier Member
I've been following the planning here. Sounds great. I hope all the guys attempting the 50cc pull this ride off successfully. I was thinking about riding north to intercept at a fuel or rest stop, but when I doublechecked the dates I realised I am doublebooked for a Tassie trip and I'll be rocking and rolling across Bass Straight instead. Best luck to all. Love to see the BP attendant's face when his forecourt fills up with bikes at 3:30am.

Skidoo

Premier Member
Confirming we are meeting at Coogee beach at 03:00 to get water/sand samples as required and a few pics. We are then heading up to the servo for fuel and depart dockets departing servo at 03:30 sharp.

Things look great With four confirmed starters :)